Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Parrot6909

Boat or Canoe?

50 posts in this topic

I have been wrestling with this decision for a while now and with the season rapidly approaching I figured I'd ask here. The vessel, whatever it ends up being, will be used in freshwater mostly. I don't see myself putting it in the bay or river (Manasquan) as I have a 21' that is in the water from March-December.

My kids (ages 8&5) love going to the local lakes to chase bass, pickerel and other assorted panfish. The closest lake to my house doesn't have ramp access which I guess would lend itself to a canoe but we also travel around to different areas, Assunpink, Farrington and some other areas that do have a boat ramp. My biggest concern with the canoe is that they are generally tippy but I can outfit it with the outriggers to help with that.

I do have a electric trolling motor that I'd like to have on whatever it is I end up buying. Want to stay on the used market to keep the costs down. So, talk to me, what would you guys get?

I would suggest looking into a 11 or 12' V Hull Aluminum. It is easy to load into a truck bed and also you can stand and fish out of it comfortably. Thats what I use for 50% of my fishing throughout the year. I would stay away from jon boats also unless you get one with a wide bottom. Just my personal preference.

I wouldn't suggest a regular canoe, they are way too tippy, especially with kids in there. If you are seriously thinking about a canoe, look at one of the wide duck hunting type models. I have a 14 foot that I have used to fish lakes and rivers, and hunt out of. As far as stability goes, I will paint the picture for you that will show just how stable it is.

2 duck hunters 400lbs

2 dogs 175lbs

2 bags decoys 70lbs

Guns, shells, unnecessary crap 50lbs

All that stuff stacked (unfortunately stacked high) in the 14 foot canoe, 1 foot chop, and paddling across the lake to get back to shore. Ducks fly over and then you have both of us shooting 12ga 3.5 mag shells at the same time as the dogs both stand up in the canoe to see what we were shooting at. Canoe didn't tip over......nuff said.

If your interested in a canoe like this, let me know and I can go outside and see what brand I have. It's 5 degrees out right now and I currently don't have the motivation to go out back and look.

The other nice thing is you don't need a boat ramp, you don't have to worry about stupid trailer lights or license plates, or having to back the thing up if your not good at it. I have a 16 foot Lund Alaskan and I use the canoe more than I do that.

Thanks for the response. Truck bed isn't possible, it'd have to go on the roof (I have an expedition). 12' V-hull is big enough? The one's i have been looking at have been 14-16 v-hull, 14-16 jon boats with a wide beam or a 14-16 canoe. The issue with the canoe (at least from what I am seeing) is weight. I found a nice Old Town that would do the job but at 110lbs with a bad back....not sure I am getting that up on the expedition roof.

Thanks for the response. Truck bed isn't possible, it'd have to go on the roof (I have an expedition). 12' V-hull is big enough? The one's i have been looking at have been 14-16 v-hull, 14-16 jon boats with a wide beam or a 14-16 canoe. The issue with the canoe (at least from what I am seeing) is weight. I found a nice Old Town that would do the job but at 110lbs with a bad back....not sure I am getting that up on the expedition roof.

12' would be large enough for you and one other adult. It probably would be too tight for you and your two kids. Any larger of an aluminum V hull would be a struggle to get on top of an expedition by yourself. Even the 12' wouldn't be easy. A 14' would be perfect but again it would weigh alot. I personally can't stand fishing sitting down so thats why I made those suggestions.

The v-hulls would have to be trailer. I like standing and fishing too but worried about access to areas with no ramps. Any easy ways to get a vhull in without a ramp? Looking at a 50 yard walk to get to the water...

I'd get a wide john before a v hull. Before you know it you'll have a 2 man and single kayak to fish w your boys so I wouldn't go way overboard on something that's not ideal for your usual spot.

I'd get a wide john before a v hull. Before you know it you'll have a 2 man and single kayak to fish w your boys so I wouldn't go way overboard on something that's not ideal for your usual spot.

Yea but a jon boat wide enough to stand on are hard to come by used. You don't want this guy trying to stand on a surfboard with his two kids and have it flip. 12-14 foot v hulls are on sale all the time on craigslist and other used sites/forums.

I can carry my 14' V Hull(which is trailered) down a pretty steep 50 yeard hill to my spot with my buddy. You and an 8 year old kid would probably be able to do it if its a flat walk but anything more than that would be tough. I am 28 and in pretty good shape and so is my buddy, so keep that in mind.:D

I'm good in a canoe - but not "all the time" ;)

I just got an inflatable 4 man boat (Intex Mariner 4) - don't have a lot of space for storage - the duffel bag is just the right size to throw in my trunk.

Have an eletric 45# thrust Minn Kota - will report back after a full season

If you haven't decided on your purchase yet, I'll add my two cents.

Check out Golden Hawk canoes.

They make a great wide canoe for fishing, trapping or duck hunting. Works perfect for lakes rivers and ponds. Weights 65 ponds or less depending on your choice of canoe.Traditional and square stern for a trolling motor. Priced right and they ship to all the lower 48. Ordered mine about a week ago.  Can't wait until spring.

Good Luck with you purchase and keep paddling.

(*edited - we do not allow commercial links here, please do not post them - if you'd like to advertise, please contact advertise@stripersonline.com - thanks. TimS)

Yea but a jon boat wide enough to stand on are hard to come by used. You don't want this guy trying to stand on a surfboard with his two kids and have it flip. 12-14 foot v hulls are on sale all the time on craigslist and other used sites/forums.

I can carry my 14' V Hull(which is trailered) down a pretty steep 50 yeard hill to my spot with my buddy. You and an 8 year old kid would probably be able to do it if its a flat walk but anything more than that would be tough. I am 28 and in pretty good shape and so is my buddy, so keep that in mind.:D

Like I said the 15' aluminum canoe is going to be the most suitable solution. Putting a 14' v hull on top of an expedition is major league pia.......and he's going to have to get used to fish sitting down eventually. I'm almost twice as old as you and I've got experience using (fishing, hunting, camping, work) and owning all these types of boats, most of the time when I had very little money.

I wasn't really happy till I had a bass boat. ;)

If you have a bad back, the one I have would be too heavy. It's some type of vynal/plastic stuff. It's very durable, but it's heavy for a canoe. Look at one of the wide aluminum ones. The most important thing for a stable canoe is width so you get more surface area on the water. The aluminum ones are waaayyyy lighter than mine.