Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roundman

question on fuji K frame guides

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I am building an 8 ft Rainshadow blank rated for 3/4-3 oz for use to plug cast in the surf. I will be using a 5000 Stradic reel and be using the rod for plug casting in the surf. I would like to try the fuji K frame guides and would like a suggestion on the size stripper guide I would need for this set-up. Thanks for any help

You will get many different opinions here but the K-Series is a good decision for an 8-foot plug casting rod in the surf. You may want to start with a double foot KW for a stripper, and perhaps the second guide as well, followed by KL single foots. Size of the stripper will be determined by height and distance using either NGC or the GPS software at ***************.net. Things should work out pretty well if you work to position a KW25 and go down from there. I would probably use a 20mm, but I like a light-as-possible reduction train that still offers excellent performance. Seems like the 20 is where I wind up a lot of times. I am assuming you are casting braid.

I would do pretty much like croaker said. Start with a 25 double and go single foot the rest. Or build it NGC and use LDB 6's for running guides, very sweet and light weight. If it's a fast action blank and your using light braid like 20# you might even be good with a 20 stripper placed out kind of like a Low Rider. You would need to test cast and static test, But Test casting is the key and what makes a custom a custom.

Ahhh.. scratch the 20 stripper I forgot the K20 is a very low height... try a 25 and you should be golden!!

The only think i would consider other than what has beed said is the KL-H single foot high frames to start the change to regular K singles. I like to used the smallest ring possible and the added height would allow for that, I think. I have a few on back order so its just a guess base on the numbers.

I appreciate the response. I live close to a big supplier in Orlando and will make the trip hopefully sometime this week. I think I will start with the 25 double foot pick up a 20 double foot and single foot with the rest being singles. I will try both the single and double 20 and decide which I like the best. Again thanks. Oh yes I will be using braid, probably 20 lb.

Love that SurffisherMike suggesting the KL-H...they will be the latest when they finally get out there. One thing you'll notice when you start working with them is you probably won't want to mix in any regular KL's. The way they progress down, ALL KL-H is the obvious way to go. After the KL-H add a couple of the beefy little wide footed KB's (tough, tough, tough) and then get back to regular KT's for the top section. I have a KR CONCEPT prototype spinning and casting for the EXPO in High Point. The entire reduction train on a 7 foot medium action spinning rod is 13-inches long!!! Come see it.

I have a KR CONCEPT prototype spinning and casting for the EXPO in High Point. The entire reduction train on a 7 foot medium action spinning rod is 13-inches long!!! Come see it.
I do want to see that for sure. That sounds intresting!

Love that SurffisherMike suggesting the KL-H...they will be the latest when they finally get out there. One thing you'll notice when you start working with them is you probably won't want to mix in any regular KL's. The way they progress down, ALL KL-H is the obvious way to go. After the KL-H add a couple of the beefy little wide footed KB's (tough, tough, tough) and then get back to regular KT's for the top section. I have a KR CONCEPT prototype spinning and casting for the EXPO in High Point. The entire reduction train on a 7 foot medium action spinning rod is 13-inches long!!! Come see it.

any pics of it would be great.

Just waiting on the high frames. Will check them out when they get in. Croaker Jo I did order the nmv's also. I saw and ordered the 20 - 8 but only got the 16 - 8 and the 20 wasnt back order. Are they making a 20? Look forward to checking out those setups at high point.

No 20mm. NMV falls strictly into the micro world. By the time you get to a 20 you have many other choices...at least that's what Fuji was thinking. Some of the best micro spinners I've experimented with were based on NMV reduction trains. A neat little stripper. Fuji should be considering a KW-H to bring that double foot strength to table. We'll see.

I too am building a new spinning rod and have seen, heard and read about these new fuji K guides that are touted as being the new best guide for stopping or limiting wind knots. What I am confused about is that, at least in my experience, I only get wind knots at the tip and first foot of the rod. I am certainly not a rod building expert but to my knowledge the K fuji guides, to the best of my recollection only go down to a 8 ,, which means that if you desire a smaller guide than an 8 then you are forced to use the single foot fly or concept guide on the last 2 foot or so of the rod which is where all the wind knots happen anyway. What this means to me is that the only K anti-wind knot guide that you are going to be able to use where the wind knots generally take place is on the tip. So if everyone else is like me and are only getting wind knots on the tip and the last foot and a half of their rods what is the big deal with these new Fiji K guides other than they look different. I personally like the looks of the old concept guides. It is only logical that if one cannot use anti-wind knot guides where they happen on the spinning rod the guides are essentially useless for handling the wind knots. So again, I am having trouble understanding the hype surrounding these new guides. :bigeyes:

I don't think they are made to eliminate wind knots as much as shed tangles around the guides (which are enhanced by the wind but don't necessarily lead to a wind knot). There are some high speed videos out there that demonstrate this. Wind knots are more likely caused by problems at the reel.