Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blind squirl

What will the spring bring?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Sitting here thinking about fishing( as always). Wonder what the spring will bring us? Will it be bunker and big bass or will it be a giant bust? If its anything like the fall/ winter,you better hold on cause it's going to be a crazy ride!

Wait and see, all you can do is go fishing. Nothing is for certain especially in the sport of fishing.

Jig fish April and May along with clam fish. Big fish May and June,,,,,,

Wait and see, all you can do is go fishing. Nothing is for certain especially in the sport of fishing.

Jig fish April and May along with clam fish. Big fish May and June,,,,,,

Why wait-it's still happening now- for the heartier souls than me:

Striped bass just won't quit

It's February, not a month known for striped bass fishing in the Garden State. So why are stripers still being caught in the surf? Jack Monteiro of Surf Side Bait and Tackle in Long Branch has no answer.

Feb. 9, 2012

From APP.com

Why wait-it's still happening now- for the heartier souls than me:

Striped bass just won't quit

It's February, not a month known for striped bass fishing in the Garden State. So why are stripers still being caught in the surf? Jack Monteiro of Surf Side Bait and Tackle in Long Branch has no answer.

Feb. 9, 2012

From APP.com

I got 4 Friday afternoon, biggest 30", 13 lb. It was on the downside of the full moon and there had been a whitelegger shed. Water temp was 45-46. This morning it's 25 degrees air temp and the water temp is down to 40.5! That should normally signal the end of any real action. Normal average water temp in February is 36. I may give it a try in a day or two. I'm probably better off doing the house projects I was supposed to start in January! Extra candy and flowers for the wife tomorrow for putting up with me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctd450 View Post

hopefully we get a spring sand eel bite like long island does, considering that bite has been going all winter apparently.

I mean it would make sense. I had a great fall and want to get out there and kill it again. Hopefully I can snag (not literally) some big girls coming out of the back bay on the flats.

I fish with whatever is working. Those who only fish with plugs and consider themselves  above bait fishing miss out on some great spring fishing. But like Morning bite my goal is 30+ on plugs

My goals in no particular order.

find an all day blue fish blitz.

Have as much fun as possible

Get to the Canal

Find new back bay spots.

Catch a fish on a plug in the river since i can't catch herring

Catch some shad in a the river.

Hit my new trout spot as many times as possible

Fish this new lmb bass spot i found by my job.

Catch as many different type of fish as i can.

Very hard to predict what this spring will bring, here in NJ. Last year was a year that brought lot's of sandeels and bass to the IBSP area late in the fall, just when it started to look like a bust for 2011 It looks like the bass moved north around the beginning of the new year and are still there eating crabs.

I haven't had a good spring for a number of years due to the lack of small fish which use to show up early spring. There haven't been many fish around until late spring when the bunker and large girls arrive.

This year :confused: