Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kennyp

why is my reel sounding like its stripped?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I put my cog back in for now but I need a speed bushing or bullet but the info I could get states that it has to be a flat side plate to work but mine is domed. Would anybody know what I would need to do or parts needed to complete this reel.

I do not want to get in trouble with the site moderatoors I am just trying to help answer a question. Once again you can find a speed bushing for a dome sided abu at Blakdog tackle in the UK Just google it. Other than making one yourself thats the only place that I khow of

You are not the first to be fooled by this. Goods news, your reel is normal. All round Abus allow the spool to turn backward when the handle is held still. People don't notice because with the levelwinds, they don't play with the reels for fear of getting the levelwind mechanism out of sync with the line on the spool. I have five Abus, 5000, 6500 and 7000. They all do this ;)

The plastic gear that is attached to the spool might have to stay there, but you can remove the white plastic gear that used to run the levelwind. If you have lost the one that belongs on the spool, I probably have one on a parts reel that I can send you. The cog that is attached to the left sideplate is best removed by sliding a loop of heavy mono under it so that it comes up on opposite sides of the gear and then giving the line a swift tug upwards. Prying the gear off often loosens the stud it rotates on. Some Abus have a little clip that holds the levelwind cog down, these are easier to disassemble.

Thanks stewie I got your pm but it wot let me send back but I have the plastic gear that goes on it.I tried it without and the spools just slides so I put it back in. Its good to hear that they all do it cause I just did it with my brand new rocket and it did to. Wheeew. That's a relief. I mean parts are a dime a dozen but I appriciate you helping me out and even going to send a part if I needed it.