Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tabidon

Blue crabs

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

This past fall my family went crabbing and had a blast.except  half our crabs died more like drowned from what I've read what's the best way to keep them alive to eat at a later time

If you keep them in water, they use up all of the oxygen, and will die. They can breathe air a little bit, so it's best to keep them out of the water. Just keep them damp by putting some wet seaweed in there with them. Or, take a 5 gallon bucket and poke holes in it. Put your crabs in that, and then every so often, poor water into the bucket and let it drain. If its hot out, keep them in the shade if possible, and you will have to do more to keep them damp. If you can't keep them in the shade, put a rag over the bucket.

You will still lose some crabs here and there, but you shouldn't lose anywhere near half of them using those methods. If you aren't sure if it's still fresh enough to eat, just throw it out.

Fill a cooler about 1/3 full of ice, then cover the ice with a few layers of newspaper. Put the crabs on top of it. It lowers there metabolism so they use much less oxygen so they will stay alive for hours that way.

The cooler is a good option too, and I should have mentioned that one as well. It can be a bit of a pain if you have a long walk though. But it works really well when it's hot out. If it's not too hot, I find the cooler isn't really worth it, but it definitely works. There are a few different things you can do, you just have to find what's convenient for you. But for sure, don't keep them in the water.

Fill a cooler about 1/3 full of ice, then cover the ice with a few layers of newspaper. Put the crabs on top of it. It lowers there metabolism so they use much less oxygen so they will stay alive for hours that way.

+1 Works just as well with minnows, grass shrimp, blood worms etc.

Just make sure you drain out any melted freshwater in the cooler.There are only two things you have to remember with the crabs( keep them cool and don't drown them) and they will remain in excellent condition, even in a bucket.

This past fall my family went crabbing and had a blast.except  half our crabs died more like drowned from what I've read what's the best way to keep them alive to eat at a later time

Put them in the front of your underwear.

We will be in Tybee island GA over easter and plan on making it a fishing mini vacation does anyone know if its worth the effort to go crabbing this early in the year?

Ps thanx everyone for the input it was rather stressful to my kids when the crabs that they worked so hard to catch died

We will be in Tybee island GA over easter and plan on making it a fishing mini vacation does anyone know if its worth the effort to go crabbing this early in the year?

Ps thanx everyone for the input it was rather stressful to my kids when the crabs that they worked so hard to catch died

I am currently camped in my RV just over the GA state line at Savannah in SC which is quite close to Tybee. My neighbor is a commercial crabber and I can tell you that the crabbing right now if really hot. He has several hundred pots set in the Hilton Head area and every day comes in with any where from 30 to 80 bushels. The key to keeping them alive is to keep them out of fresh water and cool. Good luck and enjoy the vacation.

Can't comment on the fishing as I am about to have both hands operated on for severe carpal tunnel problems. Six months of casting last summer at the "Ditch" killed them.