Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gigman7

What do I need for kayak fishing?

53 posts in this topic

I am looking into a hobby of kayak fishing. What all do I need to look for in a kayak and what accessories do I need to think about getting? I will be on the lake and large and small rivers.

hi gigman7 and welcome....you're gonna need alot of gear...and the gear will change ,depending on where,,when and what you're fishing for...but most important gear is your saftey gear( pfd..lights...horn..flaf..etc)....i think if you use the search tool here, u will find some complete list of gear,,,and if you're brand new to kayaking,try to find someone with experinece to go out with a few times.........click on kayak fishing FAQ..theres some good stuff on saftey...beginners corner..etc

You will definitely save yourself money over the long run buying an angler edition kayak. Upgrades are expensive afterward. Safety being a huge consideration but you also want to be comfortable. Get out to try on PFDs for proper fit for both paddling and fishing. Consider a rudder for river fishing.

Lots of shopping ahead for you. Good luck!

I have been canoeing and kayaking down the river for a few years now.  Have always loved fishing so now I want to do both at the same time.

I am going to get a fishing kayak and want to know what I need to look for so I don't spend $1,000 and wish I had gotten something different because I didn't know what to look for.

Where do I find the fishing FAQ?  There doesn't seem to be a link on this page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigman7 View Post

I have been canoeing and kayaking down the river for a few years now.  Have always loved fishing so now I want to do both at the same time.

I am going to get a fishing kayak and want to know what I need to look for so I don't spend $1,000 and wish I had gotten something different because I didn't know what to look for.

Where do I find the fishing FAQ?  There doesn't seem to be a link on this page.

Hi Gigman7,

I've been fishing from a kayak for about 4-5 years now and think it is awesome. Me and a buddy of mine just started going to stripers a few years ago and I can tell you it is awesome when you lay into a good sized one; they pull you around a bit! I fish out of a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. It is very comfortable for long days on the water and it is extremely stable; it's stable enough that some people stand and cast from them... there are a number of different models to choose from so I would say go to teh Native Watercraft site and take a look to see if there is anything there that you might like. The comfort, for me, comes in the seat... it is a mesh full sized seat that reclines back if you want. You're not sitting on hard plastic and your ass is away from the bottom of the boat ... and the water that invariably gets in... I don't know about elsewhere but here in NH there are a couple of dealers who rent them so you could even try before you buy. I got mine from a place called A Place in the Woods in Antrim NH... great little store. Other then that I would say take the advice of others in previous posts and be sure to be comfortable witht he safety. For fishing gear I like a 6'6 to a 7' rod a net a club for blues... oh and I like long paddles.

good luck and I hope you find a kayak and have a blast with it!

I am looking into a hobby of kayak fishing. What all do I need to look for in a kayak and what accessories do I need to think about getting? I will be on the lake and large and small rivers.

Im a less stuff is better guy. First you need a kayak big enough for your height and wheight. All the other crap should be added slowly over time when you decide you realy, realy need it. Most of the stuff you see on guys kayaks just gets in the way.

I'm just looking to find what all options are out there and what I need to know that is available.  I have a GPS.  Since I already have a kayak, I naturally have paddles & life vest.

Sounds like you're all set then.  Well, if you have a fishing rod... that is.  You'll need some way to secure your rod when it isn't in your hands.  Here is an industry secret.... any "angler" kayak is one that has a rod holder.  Some guys don't consider it a fishing kayak till it has a milk crate stuffed with stuff.  But it sounds like you've got an able river runner... no need to reinvent the wheel.  Although, I would caution you against transporting a tent cot.  I'd spend $60 on a decent hammock and a tarp and call it good.  Riverbanks are sometimes too rocky to get a tent down, so flexible solutions are advisable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RareVos View Post

Sounds like you're all set then.  Well, if you have a fishing rod... that is.  You'll need some way to secure your rod when it isn't in your hands.  Here is an industry secret.... any "angler" kayak is one that has a rod holder.  Some guys don't consider it a fishing kayak till it has a milk crate stuffed with stuff.  But it sounds like you've got an able river runner... no need to reinvent the wheel.  Although, I would caution you against transporting a tent cot.  I'd spend $60 on a decent hammock and a tarp and call it good.  Riverbanks are sometimes too rocky to get a tent down, so flexible solutions are advisable.

I'm a long way from being set.  I need a fishing kayak, not sure what kind, and I am learning what else I need.

"Riverbanks are sometimes too rocky to get a tent down"  That's why I'm going with a tent cot.

Hammock only weighs a pound... think of all the extra beer you can take.  But that extra beer does make it trickier to get into a hammock.  Man, river camping is dangerous stuff!

I would not spend extra on a pre-rigged boat.  You will either find that you want it rigged differently, or don't need it at all.  Which Elk River are we talking about here?  On flat water, SOT kayaks are all about the same (to me).  In moving water, different story.  Find one with a seat that you like as you are going to be on your ass all day.  That being said, a Tarpon or Manta Ray make a decent river runner.  It is helpful if you have a canoe or two in your flotilla to carry the cots and beer though.

Quote:

Hammock only weighs a pound... think of all the extra beer you can take.  But that extra beer does make it trickier to get into a hammock.  Man, river camping is dangerous stuff!

I would not spend extra on a pre-rigged boat.  You will either find that you want it rigged differently, or don't need it at all.  Which Elk River are we talking about here?  On flat water, SOT kayaks are all about the same (to me).  In moving water, different story.  Find one with a seat that you like as you are going to be on your ass all day.  That being said, a Tarpon or Manta Ray make a decent river runner.  It is helpful if you have a canoe or two in your flotilla to carry the cots and beer though.

The Elk River in Tennessee.  Water will be the only thing I will be drinking.

A tent cot only weighs 24 pounds and can be set up about anywhere.  MUCH more comfortable than a hammock.

Not sure what a pre-rigged boat is.  I just need to know what is out there to choose from and what each is really good for.

Quote:

So what is it that you like and do not like about the kayak you have now?

It's just a sport kayak.  only room for about 3 water bottles.