Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcast

Smelly jelly

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a lure sitting in crab oil. First go around after a year the oil was shot and basically smelled like vegetable oil. Its getting to that point again.

after a few months in a car or any where the temps changes drastic the smelly jelly will will separate by chemical make up....you see different levels in the jar....you have to stir it around real good or you will have vasilene in the top layer.......i have jars that are 3 years old still works great ....when you need that little edge on that one fish that just needs that 1 or 2 seconds longer to hold on the hook him

This is a good post. I keep my in a double container in a fridge. If it smells anything fishy, I'll just use it. (After all dead clams, bunker, and squid stink too, but I'm not sure the fish really mind). I think a great benefit of smelly jelly is "masquerting" other odors on the lure or softplastic perhaps as much as adding fishy scent (who really knows).

I use it and believe in it. This year, I also plan too add bunker oil into the hook holes on a few wood plugs. Heck, the scent will penetrate the wood, last longer, and probably preserve the wood also.

I can't waite

I use the eel flavor, I've had it about 2 years now, and just kept it in my bag over the years, haven't noticed any difference in it from when I first bought it. It still smells "eely" nice ;). I rub it on my needlefish, soft eel baits, and teasers/leader. I figure it adds a fishy smell, and masks any negative smells, like the overly strong plastic smell of vision baits for example.

This is a good post. I keep my in a double container in a fridge. If it smells anything fishy, I'll just use it. (After all dead clams, bunker, and squid stink too, but I'm not sure the fish really mind). I think a great benefit of smelly jelly is "masquerting" other odors on the lure or softplastic perhaps as much as adding fishy scent (who really knows).

I use it and believe in it. This year, I also plan too add bunker oil into the hook holes on a few wood plugs. Heck, the scent will penetrate the wood, last longer, and probably preserve the wood also.

I can't waite

Mind if I ask what the bunker oil you buy is? Like is it a specific brand or anything? Never tried any bunker scents on other plugs, but always considered it.

Exactly...unless you're eating it who cares?

I would care if it possibly deterred a fish rather than attracting them.I asked If it had a shelf life not if it was safe for human consumption.:D

I don't think anyone has an answer for this ...

That includes the manufacturer who wants you to buy fresh product every year or two.

The only way to see if it still works, is to try it.

I can tell you with complete certainty, that Hudson River Spring Stripers prefer 2-week old Bloodworms to fresh 90% of the time.

(Which really doesn't answer your question, but underscores the effectiveness of old bait.)

I noticed that one of the users who responded, intends to use Bunker Oil on his wooden plugs.

To which I can only reply "keep your surf-bag out of my car!"

AMMO

Mind if I ask what the bunker oil you buy is? Like is it a specific brand or anything? Never tried any bunker scents on other plugs, but always considered it.

I'm not sure of the brand name, but you can find bunker oil in most tackle shops. I store my soft pastics in a zip lock back with it.

I've also mixed it with vaseline to try making homemade smelly jelly....and I have not complaints.

I've used smelly jelly on my soft plastics with what I beleive is additonal succsess.