Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
digger

Does anyone here cure and smoke their own bacon?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I picked up a fresh whole pork belly from my local pork store on Thursday.

I asked for it to be skinned, but it came with the skin on. No big deal, but I guess I paid for the skin which I discarded.

I've been curing it since Thursday night. I added a pint of local honey to the commercial maple bacon cure I bough from an on-line supply house.

Tomorrow, it gets washed, dried and hung till the pellicle forms before going into the smoker.

If I remember, I'll take some pics tomorrow. I'll be doing it at the same time as I'm brewing up a fresh keg of dark amber ale. Multitasking at its best.:)

Anybody else do bacon??

Digger check out that link speckhunter posted. I still do about the same but I soak the cured pork belly in water overnight before drying. If you read I posted in that original thread that the bacon came out really well but I wouldn't eat it for breakfast. That's cause it was a little to salty but the overnight soak take's that problem away. or at least it did in my case. .

Digger check out that link speckhunter posted. I still do about the same but I soak the cured pork belly in water overnight before drying. If you read I posted in that original thread that the bacon came out really well but I wouldn't eat it for breakfast. That's cause it was a little to salty but the overnight soak take's that problem away. or at least it did in my case. .

Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

Leaving the skin on gives you a nice strip of crispy cracklins' on one edge of the bacon when you roast it. When we made bacon you couldn't pan fry it, it was too lean and salty. It was started in the oven in a roasting pan with some water, water poured off after the bacon started to render, and then roasted to crispy.

All good info.

I knew that some guys on here would have experience with it.

What do you think is done commercially to make bacon as delicious and crispy as it is right out of the package?

All good info.

I knew that some guys on here would have experience with it.

What do you think is done commercially to make bacon as delicious and crispy as it is right out of the package?

Lot's of wet brine, sugar and nitrates.

Threw it out ?? :shock: Remind me to kick you in the shins next time I see you.

Remember Pork-O's ?

That pork skin could have been cut into pork eels and fluke trailers

Cured in brine and dyed.

Rinse it before a trip, hit it with some gulp juice and you have a great lure by itself or jig trailer.

I have a batch curing in the fridge now but they're only as big as could be cut from the skin on a pork butt. You could have done some really nice stuff from a whole belly.

Remember Pork-O's ?

Cured in brine and dyed.

Rinse it before a trip, hit it with some gulp juice and you have a great lure by itself or jig trailer.

I have a batch curing in the fridge now but they're only as big as could be cut from the skin on a pork butt. You could have done some really nice stuff from a whole belly.

Screw that (although a good suggestion)...........cut it off leaving a slight layer of fat.....put some salt and garlic powder on both sides, maybe some black and cayenne pepper, throw it on a baking sheet and cook it at about 400 until it gets a bit crisp, but not overly so....use scissors to cut it in strips......perfect chicharones :drool:

Commercial bacon is injected with a seasoned brine that is low on nitrates & preservatives. That's why is has such a short shelf life once you open the package. Also why its not as salty as a home cured bacon that has to be cured from the outside in by brining or dry pack.

Remember Pork-O's ?

Cured in brine and dyed.

Sorry Sudsy.

i would have saved it for you. It was about 22" long.

I just use a jar of Uncle Josh Striper strips

I though about freezing it and frying it later, but I had my hands full with other stuff so I just pitched it out.

Anyway, I held the belly in wet maple/honey brine for 4 days, and smoked it today.

It looks fantastic. It tastes salty:(

The reason I wanted to make it myself in the first place is that we like the thick double smoked bacon from the specialty pork store and the Webers commercial double smoked slab bacon. It costs over 9 bucks a pound. I know I can do it myself for half that (plus my time of course). I don't really count my time into it beacuse I really enjoy doing that kind of stuff anyway.

Here's the pics...

Soaking in the brine.

[img=

Drying to a nice pellicle

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3127836/width/600/height/450]

cut and hanging in the smoker

[img=

hickory / apple smoked beauty :)

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3127838/width/600/height/450]

One more:

sliced and ready to fry,

It has very good sweet honey/hickory flavor, but it is very salty.

Like one of the previous posters already said, I think I'll save it to flavor chowders, potato dishes and stuff like that.

I may also put it on the slicer and see if it is any better when sliced very thin.

Try starting it in the oven with water to cover, dump the water after it gets simmering (10 minutes maybe?), move to a rack and finish roasting until crisp. Worth a shot with a couple slices as an experiment. Worked great with the dry cured stuff we made.