Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish1928thing

shad fishing

17 posts in this topic

What water temperatures do Shad usually start running?

my current arsenal:

1/16 oz jighead in chartreuse and pink

2 inch mister twisters

chartuese with flake

white

yellow

some 1/8oz trout spinners

some sabiki rigs

Do I really need anything else?

No shad darts? No flutter spoons?

x2. My preferred rig is a heavy dart on a 18"-24" inch leader, 6"-8" dropper loop with a flutter spoon up above. If fishing from shore I'll cast perpendicular to the current and just let the rig swing in an arc with the current, reeling just enough to keep contact or keep it from hanging bottom. From a boat, simply drop it back and work different depths. I always look forward to a few shad trips in the spring, very fun and exciting kind of fishing IMO.

Bluefish - As far as when shad show it depends on where you will be fishing. It would be easier for us to tell you when if you tell us where.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat the nat View Post

x2. My preferred rig is a heavy dart on a 18"-24" inch leader, 6"-8" dropper loop with a flutter spoon up above. If fishing from shore I'll cast perpendicular to the current and just let the rig swing in an arc with the current, reeling just enough to keep contact or keep it from hanging bottom. From a boat, simply drop it back and work different depths. I always look forward to a few shad trips in the spring, very fun and exciting kind of fishing IMO.

Was wondering if anyone could point me tot he right direction to buy some of those flutter spoon and the lure on the right with all those blades.  Looking for something else besides shad darts for shad this season.

Thanks,

James

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ong Jim View Post

Was wondering if anyone could point me tot he right direction to buy some of those flutter spoon and the lure on the right with all those blades.  Looking for something else besides shad darts for shad this season.

Thanks,

James

Google "Flutter Spoons for Shad" and there are a few of places to buy them. They are also very easy to make yourself. 

Hildebrandt Flicker Spinners Silver is the name of the other lure.

Shad fishing is a blast. The flutter spoons are very easy to make--buy some small willow leaf blades from a tackle store (the big online outdoor stores all carry them), some gold mustad hooks size 2 or so, and a little lead-free solder. Heat the blade at the end with the soldering gun, add a little dab of solder, press in the hook. I've never had the solder let go yet, and it takes just an hour or so to make up a few years' worth. We fish them with an inline weight (1/8-1 oz, depending on conditions) tied to the mainline, then 24-36" of flouro leader tied to the spoon (use split rings to attach). Oh yeah--bend the spoon blade a little to get a nice wide wobble. Sometimes a dab of paint seems to make a little difference. When the spoons get dull, if they're not painted you can shine them up with steel wool. Most hits come at the end of a swing in current. Now I can't wait to get out again--it'll be a few more weeks up by me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripey View Post

Shad fishing is a blast. The flutter spoons are very easy to make--buy some small willow leaf blades from a tackle store (the big online outdoor stores all carry them), some gold mustad hooks size 2 or so, and a little lead-free solder. Heat the blade at the end with the soldering gun, add a little dab of solder, press in the hook. I've never had the solder let go yet, and it takes just an hour or so to make up a few years' worth. We fish them with an inline weight (1/8-1 oz, depending on conditions) tied to the mainline, then 24-36" of flouro leader tied to the spoon (use split rings to attach). Oh yeah--bend the spoon blade a little to get a nice wide wobble. Sometimes a dab of paint seems to make a little difference. When the spoons get dull, if they're not painted you can shine them up with steel wool. Most hits come at the end of a swing in current. Now I can't wait to get out again--it'll be a few more weeks up by me.

Thanks, I think I'll make some of the flutter spoon.  Always fun to make your own lures.  Still about 3 more weeks before we start fishing for them out here in the west.  

This Saturday im heading to my spot on the Delaware, my fav dart is 1/4 oz chartreuce with a 1" pink/bubblegum twister tail , i'll give them around 50 casts than change to a white 1" twister tail...then onto fireorange...never changing my dart color either..Far as water temps i think its overrated when ive caught 17 in 42 degree water with snow on the ground..their like salmon when their running just go fish >))>

Out here in Sacramento, we fish them from late April until almost June on the Sacramento River. They then move up the American River, which is a smaller and shallower river. Usually fish there until almost July.

I need a surf rod that could "fly line" the smaller shads out stripers. Seen people land 40"+ using shad. It is amazing how the stripers could take down such a large bait.