beret

Mustad vs VMC

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Guys , please help me out. If I were to buy today, I would probably buy VMC but I do have both in my inventory and have a choice as I replace hooks.........what do you think. I guess my real question is, is there a great deal of difference or is it strickly personal preference.......appreciate advise of SOL. Thanks.

Thats like saying "a chainsaw is a chainsaw"

There is a difference... I have my preferences based on experiences (some that still haunt me)

My advice is, try some of the mustads since you have them... if they let you down, pitch em... if they work for you, use em.

If you're talking saltwater trebles, IMO VMC are better hooks, stronger & sharper than Mustad. Mustad are fine, but have to be sharpened. I like Owner too, but quite expensive.

Siwash, no comparison, definitely VMC.

O'Shaughnessy, plated hooks, still prefer VMC, again stronger & sharper. But, I also use Mustad as well, just have to sharpen them. Stainless O'Shaughnessy, I don't think VMC made one, at least not that I've seen, so Mustad gets my vote here.

I agree with Pistol Pete, try what you have first, then try something different if you're not satisfied with what you have. :D

Guys , please help me out. If I were to buy today, I would probably buy VMC but I do have both in my inventory and have a choice as I replace hooks.........what do you think. I guess my real question is, is there a great deal of difference or is it strickly personal preference.......appreciate advise of SOL. Thanks.

unless you are going for the record, VMCs

Beret,,

going by my experience and not on what anyone is saying here.

I have found that the vmc hooks are superior to the mustads

a brand new mustad will show signs of rust on 1 outting.so far,I have I have not had a single vmc rust out.I have had them bend a bit but,no rust and I don't wash my wood at all.I suppose it's because I fish rivers 95% of the time.

I have also had mustads [cut] break off whilst taking them out of a fish.

seems that when they are cut and bent open,tiny cracks form on the eye and let saltwater in,later they snap off and where it broke is rusty inside.

I have not had the problem with non-cut eye mustads which,I will use if I am out of vmc's.

this is based on my experience,,,34 years worth.

H-H

:p

I use both... and other brands as well. I depends on the application. I like Gami's for bait, Mustads for SS teasers and SS siwash and VMC Trebles for plugs.

I used to change the hooks from my new SS plugs and put VMC not anymore, vmc are not strong as used to be I can see and feel they weaker, i replaced a bunch of vmc that were bent (newer vmc's) last sprint, lucky that I'm still having a bunch of old vmc that don't bend or rust that easy.

Old guy checking in: back when we only used 20# line (max) casting plugs, hook failures were always associated with big fish getting leverage with the plug against something. Now that the young pups only have confidence in lines testing up and over 50# hook failures are a regular occurrence. I think there is a correlation. As I have said before and I will say again, it all comes down to the weakest link in the connection between you and the fish.

Peace

MUSTADS ...... they gave us a chance for big bucks. We should show are appreciation and buy/use them. Give them credit for a great promotion.

I would not want to be the guy that would catch the world record striped bass this year and did not use a Mustad Hook!

There is no truth to the rumor that "Mustad" means "dull" in Norwegian.

But VMC, Owner, and Gamekatsu are all sharper.

The Gamekatsu is CHEMICALLY sharpened, and coated. Do not sharpen a Gami!

I use Mustad XX 5/0 Short Shank tuna hooks when I am Eel fishing. They are PERFECT!

(But they need to be sharpened before use/re-use.)

AMMO

I chase stripers in California we use owner hooks 3x or 4x 2/0 hooks i love the gap size and they are sharp you will hurt your self with owners.im only putting it on my own baits spooks and glides. The baits i sale i give Vmc 2/0 but u have used mustad. Mustads look beter and are taller then vmc they bolth work they are starter hooks go with owners but they are pricy