Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardyreels

New Here;

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi emerged,

I was not aware that my post was not proper. I live in Alaska and was looking for something that I thought would be easier to find on a salt water forum. It would be sorta like you wanting to buy or find something that may be quite particular to the Alaskan Interior and living on the south east coast. I would have sent this via PM but I don't have that ability either as a new member here.

As for me being able to become a contributor .........I don't fish for Stripped Bass and wouldn't know what to say to a group of salt water / blue water anglers so I guess I'll leave you fellows alone here.

Ard Stetts

You don't HAVE to fish for Striped bass to be a part of this community. There is a bottom fishing forum and a soon to be offshore forum. Lots of guys here love to here about fishing in Alaska (myself included) :)

Don't go by, give it a try! SOL, is a diversified community of guys and gals, who are brought together by our love for striped bass. My friend, don't sell yourself short, ya weren't brought here by accident. There might be a reason why you are here, So, stick around, pull up a chair and lean back and enjoy the time here and the camaraderie. Welcome! smile.gif

Don't go by, give it a try! SOL, is a diversified community of guys and gals, who are brought together by our love for striped bass. My friend, don't sell yourself short, ya weren't brought here by accident. There might be a reason why you are here, So, stick around, pull up a chair and lean back and enjoy the time here and the camaraderie. Welcome! :)

we all came here somehow and most stayed. :)

Welcome Aboard , Ard Setts.

You will be surprized how many people on this forum have fished Alaska or know people who live in Alaska.

I'm getting long in the tooth, but I've duck hunted with a retired Director for the Bank of Alaska after he bought a farm just up the road from me in UP State NY. His name was John Holmberg. A Swedish Finn who fought the Russians in the thirties as a teenager and was a bombadier in the US 8th Air Force bombing Germans on Daylight Raids over Europe.

He had a younger Brother by the name of Viking Holmberg who followed him into the Bank of Alaska off a fleet of crab boats in the 50's.

John Holmberg loved to tell us how much better hunting was in Alaska than in rural NY. I took him duck hunting one very cold december morning on the Hudson River. My oldest son, Tom, was along for the ride. He was 7 years old. When I made the coffee that morning at 3:30am, I realized I was out of sugar. I called John, who I was supposed to pick up at 4 AM and asked him to bring some sugar for the two quart Thremos I was bringing.

We set our decoys in Goose Bay on the eastern shore of the Hudson River, north of Catskill, NY, and waited for the sun to come up. It was bitter cold. Nothing flew early that morning due to the cold. I broke out the coffee and John broke out a fifth of black berry brandy. He said that he was out of suger too, but thought this would work.

The ducks stayed tight to wherever they were hiding and we didn't see a thing until 10:30 am. I spotted a single mallard working up river towards our decoys. I alerted John and told him that it was his duck, as he was my guest. He decided to argue the point and told me to shoot the bird. I put my 870 Remington down and said Nope, its your duck. By this time the duck flew thru our decoys and was heading north towards Albany. John rared up and swung on the mallard and fired a shot. Prettiest shot I ever saw. Rolled that greenhead, azz over tea kettle and splashed him dead on the calm water.

I said to John, "That was a hellofa shot!" and he turned and looked at me with eyes as wide and as round as an owl's and said, "In Alaska, when a flock of ducks that big, flys that close, I usually get two or three ducks out it with a single shot."

It dawned on me that at that moment, John an I were deep into our cups. I appointed my son Tom the duty to get us back to the boat ramp in good order. John and I had a hell of a time laughing and yelling at each other while Tom got us to the shore. Putting the boat on the trailer was an adventure. My Labrador Retriever, Mike of Ultama Thule, refused to look at me for at least a week. I left him home, cause I thought it was too cold for him. That dog really loved to hunt.'

Thomas, learned so much self sufficency that morning when he was 7, that he when on to become a US Navy Pilot after graduating from Texa A&M..

So tell me Ard, is the duck hunting as good in Alaska, as my friend John Holmberg told me it was?

PS - As a new guy you traditionally should tell us a funny story or a joke. :D

Don't go by, give it a try! SOL, is a diversified community of guys and gals, who are brought together by our love for striped bass. My friend, don't sell yourself short, ya weren't brought here by accident. There might be a reason why you are here, So, stick around, pull up a chair and lean back and enjoy the time here and the camaraderie. Welcome! :)

Striped bass for sure but i think (A love of everything fishing) is a more widespread answer. Some people unfortunately as (Hardyreels) displayed get the wrong picture by the title Stripersonline. I think their are thousands of members who do not specifically fish for Striped Bass. IMO people gravitate to SOL because it has the best and most extensive information on a huge variety of fishing topics.

Having the boards alive with dozens of members and guest at any given time is a testament to this. :th::th:

Stick around. You're not the only Alaskan here. Alaska Steve is a regular contributor. A lot of us have been to Alaska and a lot want to go. It's always nice to have a resident around to answer questions about things there.