Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
levari

How do you deal with such an issue?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I purchased a new reel the Penn FTH 40. Before the practice session the spool spins freely. My first two casts were fine and then the distance got shorter and shorter. I went back to the truck and I checked if the spool spins freely like it was before the session and I saw it spins really lousy. So, I packed up and drove home and let it cool a little bit. When I got home, everything is back the way it was before the first cast.

It's was not the first time I noticed this issue.

You can see in the first video just as I packed up and the second video when the reel cooled off. I did not touch the tension control or changed any setting...It seems to me that this reel has an issue...and I am pretty sure it is not this specific reel but every reel of this series. Is it the oil in the bearing?

Video 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQmYtLtAh4&feature=youtu.be

Video 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHHcUIldwE&feature=youtu.be

Any suggestion will be appreciated. I don' send it in because I don't feel like paying for shipment unless someone tell me there is something wrong with this specific reel and it can be fixed.

Was it cold outside where you were fishing , in the clip it sounds like you have a jacket on. If it was cold the grease and oil will thicjen as the temrature drops thereby slowing the reel down. Once you were inside for a while the warmer temp in the house could have thinned them back to a better level.

Regards:D

It was warmer than Beijing :) . It was above freezing and I was not fishing, just practicing..It was a cast after cast in the baseball field...There wasn't enough time for the reel to catch a cold...The problem is not the cold... :wave:

Boy those Fathoms sure look sweet! Sorry you're having a problem with it but at first glance, like Schrader, I suspect it's it's the change in viscosity of the lubricants which came with your new reel, especially the greased areas.

Penn has a history of shipping their reels with the bearings packed full of grease. My 525 Mag had to have the bearings cleaned with lighter fluid then I used Hot Sauce to lubricate them. The other thing that might not be evident is that, if I remember right, the HT-100 drag uses a special drag grease between the carbon washers which undoubtedly would be affected by the cold temps and possibly slow the spool. Make sure your drag is set properly just in case its still at the factory setting or has moved from your adjustment for some reason. Last but not least, is there a chance the spool tension control is too tight. It should be only tight enough to allow the spool to move side to side a very small amount, just enough to barely feel the spool move side to side.

Let us know what you find out and how you resolve the problem plz, if you don't mind?

Tim

(*Edited - one more time - do not post URLs or links here. This is not a request, it's requirement of your participation here. Next time you do it, you will be removed. If you are unaware of our guidelines, please see: http://www.stripersonline.com/a/faq - thanks, TimS)

Tim, We can rule out the tension control as it was set up perfectly.I also can't see how the drag system can influence the freedom of the spool when it is set for free spool. The bearings are hard to get to, but in visual inspections it seems the bearings are very dry, so I added some hot sauce oil.. I don't call the Penn Service department because they are going to tell me to ship the reel and pay for shipment but since there aren't any issues unless I cast, so I don't think there will be anyone there stepping outside to cast...Long time ago I had an issue with Avet making noises during a cast..I sent the reel to them, they replaced bearings and sent it back and still it was making noises. I only send reels back if the issue is noticeable.

I also owns two 525Mags and TRQ 100 and I never experienced any issues with them...Thanks for your suggestions and interest. I will let you know if the addition of the hot sauce helped..probably by next weekend..

You need to first eliminate all the maybes, shouldas, diddas, I thinkas, but-ahs. And the way you do that is pop the spool bearings, clean both the bearings and the sockets they sit in, lube with an oil you have confidence in and reinstall.

After the bearings are clean and dry but before relubing mount them on a pencil point or somesuch so the inside race won't turn and give them a good spin. Any defects taht would cause your issues should be detected.

Relube, reinstall correctly and then if it still screws call Penn.

BTW... I'm with the others... viscosity issues. I'm bettin' there's some stiff monkey piss in them bearings. 10 seconds of rapid spinning (cast) followed by a few minutes of slow rpm retrieving and another few minutes of idle until the next cast will not stop the ****ing of a too thick-lubed bearing on a cold day. But strip and relube ith suitable oil and then you'll know.

Thanks Plug..As I wrote in the post above yours...The bearings in this reel are not as simple to move out...like other Penn reels that I own....I cleaned and re lube hundred times before the bearings in my Avets, Abus, Daiwa and other Penn reels. After visual inspections it seems that the bearing are dry like a monkeyy a$$ in the Shara desert. I added few drops of Hot Sauce oil and I need to take the reel to the field to see if it helps...If it does not, I may have to send it to Penn and ask them to clean the damn bearings...and re-lube....Thanks again...

How about testing the new forum Penn Fishing Direct. I say it has to be something with viscosity. It would be a perfect test.

I thought about it but looking at the replies he is going to offer me to ship it (at my own expense) to Penn to be looked at and everyone is going to clap hands suggesting how great of a company is Penn, I will post something else related in few minutes, let's see how he is going to handle it...

I just put my Trindad in the refrigerator for an hour . Pull it out no difference in free spooling. Now I am trying the freezer.

This issue has nothing to do with cold weather...The temperature outside was in the low 40th...It took me about 6 minutes to drive from home to the field, another 10 minutes to put it together...and another 10 minutes of casting to notice the issue..I drove back home for another 10 minutes and the reel went back to normal mode The second video is inside my garage after parking the car...The first video is in the parking lot of the baseball field just before packing up to leave..I believe it is the heat from the cast that screwed this reel up...That's my opinion...so far..Not the cold weather...

well i' m glad it is "your opinion" it isn't the cold .

first thing i do with any 'new reel' is strip it down , clean all the lube and 'grease' out of it . then re-lube with grease and oil that i know what effects it has on my reels .

you never know what the factory has put in there or how heat or cold will affect the operation of the reel .............

The way I am reading what Levari  is saying it is friction/heat from continuous casting and then when he is done casting metal cools off and free spooling returns to normal. Nothing to do with weather related heat or cold. If it is what  he is saying sounds like no lubrication or maybe wrong type. Maybe the bearing?

Thanks Plug..As I wrote in the post above yours...The bearings in this reel are not as simple to move out...like other Penn reels that I own....

Man that's too bad they are hard to service. To me a surf casting reel with easy to service spool bearings is a must.

The way I am reading what Levari  is saying it is friction/heat from continuous casting and then when he is done casting metal cools off and free spooling returns to normal. Nothing to do with weather related heat or cold. If it is what  he is saying sounds like no lubrication or maybe wrong type. Maybe the bearing?

That exactly what I meant...BTW - Yesterday after adding just a little bit of Hot Sauce, the spool spins for a much much longer time than the way it was before. the video on my iPhone was actually so big that I couldn't even email it...So, I think I am right this time but I got to wait until I go back to the field...