Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tothelimit

Bucktail hair 'thickness'

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey SOL sharpies and guru's I wanted to know if there is an 'accepted' amount of bucktali hair one applies to a lead head. I guess what I am asking can you over tie a lead head and if so how does it affect the performance of the lure?

Thanks much in advance!

Very simple, the more hair a bucktail has, the more buoyancy it has, which makes it swim higher in the water column, but casts a little less far. Thin haired jigs will have less buoyancy, and swim a little deeper in the water column, but you may get a tiny bit more casting distance.

It all depends on where you are going to be using them, shallow rocky, deep and sandy, in-between, so tie your jigs accordingly!

Also forgot more hair will mean a bigger profile, less hair a smaller profile, which helps if you are trying to match a certain bait species.

But for the record I am no Sharpie nor guru, but I did read John Skinner's new book "Fishing the Bucktail"!

I tie two different types. Full bodies and flaired bodies. Full seems to give a better view to the fish in stained water. Clear water the thinner haired jigs flair and breath more imparting a life like action when you jig them. That action is a killer. Watch a fish in a tank how the pectoral fins and gills flair and close while they breath. Thats what I want in clear water.

Also worth noting is the type of hair itself. The hair is hollow. On any given Deer Tail the hair near the body is thicker/larger diameter than at the tip. When pulling down the thread a hollow thick hair will flair much more than the thin hair.  Hair selection dictates end profile.

If I want a bucktail to 'swim', I will use more hair.

I make jigs for Pompano and tie the hair short and sparse because I want it to hop off the bottom to create a disturbance of the sand..

Lots of big fish will often hit one of these tiny(1/2 oz) jigs. JMHO C2

Also forgot more hair will mean a bigger profile, less hair a smaller profile, which helps if you are trying to match a certain bait species.

But for the record I am no Sharpie nor guru, but I did read John Skinner's new book "Fishing the Bucktail"!

More hair= more bouancy so the BT floats alittle higher in sticky places too!