Rattle cans

Rate this topic

Crash044

So I'm making some slim swimmers and short danny's for some friends. I normally just paint with rattle cans and keep it really simple. Black, white, yellow and olive are my usuals. But I want to do a little more with these. I know you airbrush guys can mix and blend to get what ever colors you want but what do you rattle can guys do. The Krylon stuff seems to be limited in a way and the metallic stuff from them is pretty runny. Anyone try some of the grafitti paints like the MTN Alien or Hardcore. How about some of the different can tips to spray thin lateral lines?

"If you wanna be a monk you gotta cook a lot of rice... STAY FROSTY"

I looked into them fancy paints but soon realized it warn't worth the trouble.

For me it's Rusto metallics or Rusto Appliance Epoxy (TOUGH stuff).

With some practice you can do some pretty decent fades and blends.

It's all in going very lightly to build up the paint. Mist a light coat, wait 10 minutes, mist again, wait 10 minutes.... You can do a complete plug with 3-4 colors in one session of 45 minutes by going wet on wet. Just be sure to let the thing cure in a warm place for a week.

Don't forget your respirator, and don't spray in the house/basement.

Bait is for old men and little boys... real men plug.

Montana cans are a great option, tons of colors, and nice consistent product. Worth the extra cash. But really any can will do, I love the speed of layering spray paint on a plug, I used to bang plugs out in five minutes start to finish. For example have your colors out and ready to shoot. Starting with a white primed plug, shoot a little lime green on the sides, grab some blue hit the back, layer some light mist of a lighter blue over that. Let dry, a quick blast with some black through a stencil, for some mack characteristics, maybe a super light mist of silver in and along the flanks, then to top it all off a fog of pearl, and some red chin spatter, call it good. Love the way the wet colors would blend when spattering from various distances, you just need a no touch system that holds the plug in place.

I just got an order from Art Primo. I ordered the Belton paints plus a bunch of different caps. Up until now it's been Rusto 2X and never had a problem. The people at Art Primo were very helpful in explaining the caps and paints. I bought some transparent paint which is really nice for overlays. Last year I was getting tired of the Rusto fat caps clogging so I contacted the company and they sent me about 100 caps for free. Art Primo has a variety of fat caps that fit Rusto cans.

The pics show a combination of three color overlays.

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3103937/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

Bigfisch, a mutual friend told me to check out your plugs today to see what can be done with rattle cans. I was really impressed and then I come on here and see you responded. Dude, great stuff. I know you must have spent a lot of time getting your technique down and it shows. That blackfish pattern is beautiful. It gives me hope as to the level I can reach one day... hopefully.

Seaviewer, I'm a member of Stripercoast Surfcasters. John Meadows introduced us last year on some dirt road in R.I. I've seen your plugs. Had no idea they were rattle cans. Great stuff.

This forum has some great info from amazing builders. I should post more instead of lurking all the time. Just don't want to be the guy that asks the dumb questions. LOL. Thanks for all the replies. It def. helps.

Bigfisch, a mutual friend told me to check out your plugs today to see what can be done with rattle cans. I was really impressed and then I come on here and see you responded. Dude, great stuff. I know you must have spent a lot of time getting your technique down and it shows. That blackfish pattern is beautiful. It gives me hope as to the level I can reach one day... hopefully.

Seaviewer, I'm a member of Stripercoast Surfcasters. John Meadows introduced us last year on some dirt road in R.I. I've seen your plugs. Had no idea they were rattle cans. Great stuff.

This forum has some great info from amazing builders. I should post more instead of lurking all the time. Just don't want to be the guy that asks the dumb questions. LOL. Thanks for all the replies. It def. helps.

SSC = :th:

If you guys are talking about the Rhody Shootout I was with Jake in the Newport area. Then me and Lumo, who had gotten skunked (along with everyone else up til then) broke off and went to SOCO and slayed 'em. :D Outside the shootout area, but we had fun.

That's the one. It's always nice taking the ride up to you guys. Look forward to it every spring.