Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigpapamd1

avet sx or penn fathom 15 star drag

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

The fathom 12 over the 15, just because it is the narrower version. It will hold like 300 yards of 30, and still get the 25 lbs of drag, never needed.

The biggest difference between the avet and penn is that one is a star drag and the other is a lever drag. The penn has an anti reverse bearing with a silent dog backup, the avet is a dog style anti reverse, so it has a little play in the handle. The penn also comes with a cast control system built in, while it is an upgrade to the avet. The penn is also faster with a 6:1 vs the avets 5.8:1

If I were to get the avet i would go for the sxj, it is a narrow version of the sx, really helps when winding in.

I just did this whole decision as well and went with a fathom 12 off ebay for 150 with free shipping. I liked the star drag over the lever.

You can get a penn squall which is basically the same thing as the fathom, but it has a graphite frame and a magnetic cast control.

A question to anyone who knows. I have the Newell 220 and love it. What would be the equivalent Penn Fathom Star Drag the FTH12, FTH15 or FTH25N

FTH12= Newell 220

FTH15= Newell 229

FTH25N= Newell 322

Sadly, Carl Newell passed on Dec. 24, 2008.

Was there no one else to take over the business. It seems to be a pretty popular brand, even more so now they are no longer available.

When was the last time they made Newell reels?

After Carl Newell passed the Newell brand was bought by

Valley Manufacturing & Engineering, Inc

11915 Wicks Street

Sun Valley, CA 91352

(800) 820-3134

Sadly Valley Engineering has yet to put into production both their Newell manufacturing operation or even the parts replacement division. The keep targeting a later date and every time I call back it's not up and running. Very sad since Newell is a great reel.

I have the Newell 220 and the Avet SX 5.8 MC and both are great reels but the Newell sits on the shelf while I fish the Avet. The Avet seems a lot stronger due to the one piece frame. I am a bigger Avet fan since I caught a 297 Yellow Fin Tuna on an Avet 30 wide in December.