Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pauley1

MA car insurance surcharge?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Wanted to post here and not my face book account.

My roommate was moving my car in the driveway and her sleeping slippers got caught on one of the pedals (5speed). We have to share the driveway. Then she smashes the left front of the car right into the corner of the driveway. Bumper cracked in two. Left headlight is totaled. Hood is bent down. How dumb can she get? Geez. I had a date I was getting ready for. Had to cancel that.

I stupidly told my insurance she was behind the wheel which she wasn't legally to do. I should've said it was a hit and run. Too late. Now I'm at fault and the insurance agent at Progressive can't tell me if my premium will go up. On top of that, it's a $500 duductible out of my pocket for repairs. Think the roommate owes me that much.

Im getting ready to move to Ipswich end of the month and this happens?

My question is, how much of a surcharge am I be expecting yearly for the next 6 years? Ballpark figure. I'm at about $1100 full coverage. Thanks.

Wanted to post here and not my face book account.

My roommate was moving my car in the driveway and her sleeping slippers got caught on one of the pedals (5speed). We have to share the driveway. Then she smashes the left front of the car right into the corner of the driveway. Bumper cracked in two. Left headlight is totaled. Hood is bent down. How dumb can she get? Geez. I had a date I was getting ready for. Had to cancel that.

I stupidly told my insurance she was behind the wheel which she wasn't legally to do. I should've said it was a hit and run. Too late. Now I'm at fault and the insurance agent at Progressive can't tell me if my premium will go up. On top of that, it's a $500 duductible out of my pocket for repairs. Think the roommate owes me that much.

Im getting ready to move to Ipswich end of the month and this happens?

My question is, how much of a surcharge am I be expecting yearly for the next 6 years? Ballpark figure. I'm at about $1100 full coverage. Thanks.

well number one its not a surcharge, its not going back down and its not negotiable. Call it what it is. its a rate hike and its based on claim (s), vehicle, where you live, age etc etc. One big happy formula of risk and probability.

Since you made a claim and you should have. It shouldn"t be too much maybe $50-100 a year, because it didn't involve another car, speed, DUI etc

Moving from berverly to ipswich won't make any difference. However if you were in greater boston moving to the burbs it could be a wash with your rate hike. sorry

Thank you phish. Your input is very much appreciated. I can live with that slight increase. I have planned to move away from her for awhile now. I should've moved out months ago when she scarred up one of my wheels along a curb. She's that type you would find in a slapstick movie. It's almost like I'm not surprised by this accident. I'm just glad I'm moving out. Thanks again.

dave, I made a claim on my pickup a couple of years ago, before that no claims at in 7 years with state farm, no damage to anyone else, I backed into a steel pole, about 1800$ to my truck, my insurance went up 330 in one year, I dumped them when that happened, everything, 2 car policy's and my homeowners, went to another company and saved big time, my homeowners went down 400$ a year, my truck went down 400$ and my wife's went down 150$, I pay 1600$ a year for 3 policy's, :)

dave, I made a claim on my pickup a couple of years ago, before that no claims at in 7 years with state farm, no damage to anyone else, I backed into a steel pole, about 1800$ to my truck, my insurance went up 330 in one year, I dumped them when that happened, everything, 2 car policy's and my homeowners, went to another company and saved big time, my homeowners went down 400$ a year, my truck went down 400$ and my wife's went down 150$, I pay 1600$ a year for 3 policy's, :)

Same thing happened to me.

My wife was taking the dog for a walk on Bell Rd (where else would this happen :rolleyes:) when some old man came around the corner, totally on her side of the road. She avoided hitting him, but hit the boulders just before the parking lot. The old man kept going never knowing he caused the accident. :wave: Just over $2000 in damage to our truck. Filed a claim, our first one in 30 years. The agent told me flat out, you might want to consider paying for this one yourself, b/c your rate will go up.

He was correct. Our rates went up almost $400 annually!:mad:

We dumped them, went with another company, and actually saved some dough.

Kinda makes you wonder what the whole point is of insurance, if we are reluctant to file a claim for fear the rates will go up? (or that the insurer will find some loophole in the fine print to limit the claim payout). :squid: Just sayin'.

-bd

Insurance is nothing but a fee for a pre approved loan.You can probably expect your insurance to go up and stay up until the amount the company shelled out is recovered.The first statement is from an autobody shop and the second from the insurance agent.

After my truck was stolen my rates stayed the same, however, bear in mind that on a "totaled" pay out their book value and yours will certainly be different!

A surcharge is assesed for moving violations,seriouse at fault accidents DUI ect. and is administered by the state, meaning you can't get rid of it by changing companies!!!!

You may not get rid of the surcharge by changing companies but you may find a cheaper overall rate. I had my firt accident a few years back and my insurance never changed. The company told me the first incident was a "free bee"".

Insurance is nothing but a fee for a pre approved loan.You can probably expect your insurance to go up and stay up until the amount the company shelled out is recovered.The first statement is from an autobody shop and the second from the insurance agent.

Pretty much it.

Also you have to be cover by insurance.

When you hit someone else, YOU aren't the one that have to pay $10k in damage, insurance do.

But if it's your fault, then your rate will go up.

Does NH still not require insurance on motor vehicles? Always thought that was odd.

Insurance is nothing but a fee for a pre approved loan.You can probably expect your insurance to go up......

Although this may not apply to the vast majority of you folks out there, but once you are defined as an elderly driver, many insurance companies will automatically raise your rates.

There is a fair amount of competition for your business out there. It pays to shop around. Many times your company will meet the written quote given to you by a competitor just to keep you on their books.

The at fault accident surcharge rate is determined by the dollar figure of the damage. Minor usually being under $2000 and major accident over 2. I had an accident with only my truck being damaged, every year for the last 4 years its cost me an average of $360 for the surcharge. In the end, after a $500 deductible and each years surcharge the insurance company has gotten almost every dollar back from me. The original damage was around $3100. Before this I had zero tickets or accidents, for reference

Sometimes its better to pay out if pocket

Does NH still not require insurance on motor vehicles? Always thought that was odd.

nope, live free or die state, I think it should be mandatory, no insurance you can't register your car, maybe our rates would go down if this was in place, you only have to have insurance if you have a loan on your car, that's mandatory,

nope, live free or die state, I think it should be mandatory, no insurance you can't register your car, maybe our rates would go down if this was in place, you only have to have insurance if you have a loan on your car, that's mandatory,

Yeah, that's crazy. I got into an accident with a guy on Storrow Drive years ago. He was driving like a dick and I wasn't in the mood to put up with his bs, so when he decided it was a good idea to slam on his brakes in front of me, I just kept going. He was driving some sort of Toyota I think, maybe a Camry, and I was in a 88 Chevy Cheyenne xtra cab pickup with an 8 foot bed. Guess who's car got trashed? Well, when the Sate Police showed up, myself and my two passengers told him our side of the story, and as soon as he heard from the NH guy he was driving in MA without insurance he told us to have a nice day and started to berate the guy. I wonder who came all the way down from NH to pick him up....that Statey wasn't letting him go anywhere...funny stuff. Never understood why anyone would want to drive with out insurance.