Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wayne Tj

What's your favorite Crock Pot recipe

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Deer heart BBQ

You and your buddies save the hearts from all of the deer you kill during the season.

Slice through vertically, and then roll flat...cutting away all of the valves and whatnot.

Dust with seasoned salt and black pepper and brown well in bacon fat.

Into the crock pot with a pinch of thyme and sage, red pepper flakes, liquid smoke, a couple of cloves of garlic, cider vinegar and water to cover.

Cook until easily pulled.

(I also like to freeze the trimmings from racks of ribs...the flap, skirt and rib tips...thaw them out and do the same, chew on the bones)

The ultimate comfort food - Crock pot Beef Stew

Real simple, not a lot of spice.

2 packages (24 oz +/-) big mushrooms on the bottom,

then a head of celery cut in 3" lengths,

one large vidalia onion sliced,

a pound and a half of carrots cut in big chunks,

a pound of parsnips cut in big chunks.

A dozen or so peppercorns

4 or 5 bay leaves

Chuck roast with as much fat trimmed as possible. Leave the grisly stuff, that connective tissue is what melts away and gives great stew its flavor - just get rid of the lumpy white fat. Paint it with Kitchen Bouquet and brown all sides in a heavy bottom pan with just a little vegetable oil, get it as brown as possible without burning.

Deglaze the pan you browned the meat in with 1 cup red wine and add to the crock pot. If can't fit all the meat at once you'll have to deglaze between batches. You don't want to blacken the pan - those deglazed brown bits are key to the stew

College Inn (must be college inn, the rest suck) low sodium, fat free broth to cover

Let it cook on high for 7 or 8 hours.

Strain the liquid into a fat separator and lose the fat.

Thicken however you prefer, I like to use not too dark roux.

Salt to taste

Slice the meat across the grain

Put veggies and meat back into gravy

Serve over egg noodles with horseradish.

Yep, thought of that. It must be good for stews, soups (onion, yum), and chili. I've never made chili, but I plan on doing it this weekend. Can chili be frozen?

Yep, thought of that. It must be good for stews, soups (onion, yum), and chili. I've never made chili, but I plan on doing it this weekend. Can chili be frozen?

Wife uses it for chili.

The last one she made, vegan style, the kids called "prison food."

I should probably shut up now because I can't think of anything positive to add in a thread looking for good KroQ pot recipes, because, in my experience, there aren't any.

Dump Cake

Get inebriated

Dump a box of cake mix, a stick of butter and whatever else comes to mind into the crock pot on low, dont mix it.

Get some more inebriated

see what you came up, and try to plan the ingredients for the next one while still buzzing

you'd be surprised how good it can be once you get past the name, considering it takes absolutely no effort. I haven't made one in years but I was on a kick there for a minute.

I just had this last nite & 4 lunch today. Takes some work but I LOVE it!

1 lb. ground beef

1/2-3/4 lb. bacon, diced 1/4- 3/8"

1 cup onions, diced

1 cup green pepper, diced

1 cup celery, diced

2 one lb. cans, 15 oz., favorite baked beans

1 one lb. can, 15 oz., kidney beans, drained

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp favorite mustard

3 tbsp vinegar

1 tsp salt & pepper

1 tbsp Wright's liquid smoke

Brown beef in skillet & drain fat, dump in pot.

Brown bacon in skillet, put onions in before bacon's done & brown too. Drain, dump in pot.

Dump everything else in pot, stir well, cook low 4-9 hrs.

If using 2 qt crock pot divide by 1/2

Anyone who likes baked beans and/or ground beef northern style BBQ will love this ! GAURUANTEE! I call it BBQ'ed Beans & sweet chili!

Take your favorite bone-in pork roast, dump a big jar of sauerkraut over it, top with a few tablespoons of brown sugar and carraway seeds. After 8 hours, serve over mashed potatoes.

Fill it with good potting soil and grow some parsley and basil.

Actually, the chili was sort of plausible, everything else has pretty much sucked. If you got the time to watch over it and add ingredients with some idea of how long they actually take to cook you can make food in it. The dump and run one pot recipes it's supposed to make just aren't my cup o' tea.