Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Fitness Enthusiasts??? Pre Workout Meal...What Say Yee???

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Guys

What do you folks think about this??? Beneficial to fat loss??

In the old days, the belief that working out in a fasted state burned more bodyfat, but from what my glucometer tells me (I am Prediabetic)....this isn't true for folks with insulin resistance.

Maybe a small High Carb Snack (1/2 Bananna w/ 1.5 tsp of Nat Peanut Butter) would be just the thing to stimulate enough insulin to turn around the essentially catabolic state that I am in when I wake up.

When you are insulin resistant, in a fasted state your body secretes glucagon, and insulin levels are very low. In a normal person this tiny amount of insulin is sufficient to drive the sugar that is made by your liver into your muscles, but fat is used as fuel to preserve liver glycogen.

In the insulin resitant the sugar that comes out of your liver brings your blood sugar to 100+ basically making it nearly impossible to tap into body fat.

Before I was medicated, my after workout BS was crazy! It would start out at 95-98 then hit 139 after working out in a fasted state. Metformin really helps with this, and I can tell you, without it...I never lost a pound despite crippling workouts!

Any Wisdom Here??

PS...Sorry for all the science but, this is the only way I could explain it. Any trainers or real gymrats are free to share there wisdom without engaging in discussions over the Biochemistry of Fat Loss.

You seem to have a grasp on your BS an what effects it.Why would you consider a high sugar fruit like a banana.

I love banana's but I have pretty much eliminated them from my diet.In effort to steady my glycemic index.

Some believe weight loss is as simple as burn more calories that you consume.But it's not that simple if your going to exercise you need to feed your body the right way to maximize the caloric intake.It's just common sense really..

Low sugar carbs are a better bet. A low fat protien like nuts (almonds an walnuts are high in Omega's an they will keep inflamation down)..with maybe some raisins..An apple with some natural peaunt butter or almond butter.or peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread..

Zone bars are a good blend of fats to carbs to protiens..

Low sugar keeps your insulin from spiking an low fats protiens absorb into the system easier..

You can eat your dinner prior to working out... just wait an hour or so before you go into the water

Drink plenty of water..Some like some caffiene to help there workouts..I do.Just drink it black..

Then there is the suplement thing.Some like a whey protien drink made with skim milk.there's a long list when it comes to that route.

I just prefer to keep it simple.I think if you over feed your body too much sugar an fat it will use that during the workouts.Not enough and your body will use stored fat along with muscle for energy.

I've read many things on this subject and the one constant is everyone is different.Not everybody burns off these fuels in the same manner..You have to do what it takes for you to get it right.

I mostly run, so what I do may not apply to a normal workout of cardio/strength. I don't eat anything in particular before normal workouts. I eat what I eat. I don't mind letting my body suffer at times if my nutrition is lacking. It teaches it to adapt to stresses that it will see in the later stages of races. Prior to races I am a bit more careful of what I eat.

I like bananas before runs of over 1.5 hours though. They digest quickly, easy on the stomach and a good source of carbs/sugars. Oatmeal is good as well. A little bit keeps you full and a good source of carbs.

I am much more concerned about what I eat after a workout. I have been using Picky Bars after hard tempo, interval and long runs. Usually 5-10 minutes after I finish. Chocolate milk maybe 20-30 minutes after I finish. I find It helps me recover a lot better.

Joe, the consensus is that you have to eat to lose...i know, a very generalized statement but it holds merit. Food is a touchy subject...its funny everyone knows everything about how to eat right and what to eat, and yet, when you look around you see fat slobs all over the place. Who hasn't read an article on the internet about what to eat and when to lose fat and gain muscle...it's all generalized BS, just like the bananas are bad for you comment. I found my own secret formula to lose. I used to say, high quality low calorie in high quantities. The timing of it all was super important, i was cooking something every 2 hours. Who has the time for that. Weight loss is simple..eat less and your body eats itself.

Food is a touchy subject...its funny everyone knows everything about how to eat right and what to eat, and yet, when you look around you see fat slobs all over the place. Who hasn't read an article on the internet about what to eat and when to lose fat and gain muscle...it's all generalized BS, just like the bananas are bad for you comment. I found my own secret formula to lose. I used to say, high quality low calorie in high quantities. The timing of it all was super important, i was cooking something every 2 hours. Who has the time for that.

:D This made me smile. Reminded me of the nutritionist who visited me in the nursing home. She was as big as a house and giving me advice. Most of the guys who are involved in the fat tie threads have no interest in anything competitive, they just want to lose a few pounds. They go on radical diets that they can't possibly maintain without going insane. Many talk about lifestyle change and they're usually the worst offenders, because every year it seems that they have to lose it all over again. I'll admit I've been eating smaller meals than in the past, but that has more to do with the reworked plumbing and working less. I used to eat more meals when trying to bulk, only because it's easier getting the calories like that, as opposed to gorging oneself, something I was extremely good at.

Over the years some people have told me that my meals should be no larger than the size of the fist. Most of them were overweight and I believe one has some of the diabetic issues as well. I also like the clean eaters. Still haven't figured out what eating clean is and though I do ask them what they mean, I've never gotten a response. Then you have the egg white eaters who throw out all the nutrients when discarding the yolks and load up on supplements to replace them :laugh:

Was looking for something to maybe help the OP, but I found this instead..

In response to Mike K’s advocacy of food avoidance, I posted research indicating an association between inflexible, all-or-nothing eating habits and adverse conditions. To quote Stewart et al, “The study found that individuals who engage in rigid dieting strategies reported symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape. In contrast, flexible dieting strategies were not highly associated with BMI, eating disorder symptoms, mood disturbances, or concerns with body size.”

Here’s a quote from a similar study by Smith et al: “Subjects were administered questionnaires measuring dietary restraint, overeating, depression and anxiety. Measurements of height and weight were also obtained in order to calculate BMI. Canonical correlation was performed to evaluate the relationship of dietary restraint variables with overeating variables, body mass, depression and anxiety. The strongest canonical correlation (r=0.65) was the relationship between flexible dieting and the absence of overeating, lower body mass and lower levels of depression and anxiety.”

Indeed, correlation doesn’t automatically equal causation, but the two studies I cited above build a far better case than the baseless assumptions of folks who assert their dietary perfectionism onto the world around them.

Then you have the egg white eaters

my brother was eatin egg whites the other day...with ketchup. I was laughing my ass off...just another classic example of the idiocy of our diet crazes.

my brother was eatin egg whites the other day...with ketchup. I was laughing my ass off...just another classic example of the idiocy of our diet crazes.

Trading in the yolks for HFCS. Oh noes. :laugh: . :laugh:

Trading in the yolks for HFCS. Oh noes. :laugh: . :laugh:

Another tid bit of info from a clueless PT with a degree in nutrition. Eat the whites only. Crack three eggs and remove the yolks and cook in a pan with some kind of fat. Low calorie, low quantity, and low quality food...enough to make you starved minutes after. The ketchup held him over for an additional 10 minutes, though i have to say. I told him he'd be better off boiling 4 eggs and eat em whole.

I run in the AM on a empty stomoch. Not sure if it's right or wrong but it works for me. One thing I need when running is to drink water if I don't have water I'm done.

So prefessa what are you asking, what to eat before you run? How to lose weight with running? I have to say you have provided a lot of info but I can't confirm or deny your rational. If the question is what should I eat before I run to have energy my first question is how far are you running. I can easily run 5 miles in the morning with very limited food. I might have a coffee and a banana would be fine. If I'm running long 12 miles say, I have some 3 slices multi grain toast and natural peanut butter and jelly. Longer than that I might do a full load of pancakes, syrup and maybe some bacon and bring along some jel and gatorade on the run, I would have that meal about 3 hours out. I have found fat buring and losing weight is more of a product of how far and how often I run and accompanied by healthy diet. I think we would all be amazed how little food we normally require due to inactivity.

From my biking days I had learned do not eat a high sugar product before you start to excersize becasue that will trigger Insulin and counteract the energy you were hoping to gain form the sugar, wait for about 20 minutes after you start excersizing and the body is starting to call for sugar and it will be utiized correctly.

With all that said their are so many theories out there, it's hard to know what really works. My weight loss came with about 35 miles a week based on my food intake.