Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

Honey Lami Blank ID help

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have an old honey lami blank, probably 30 years old, there's no markings on it at all, the tip measures 3/16 and the butt measures 1 1/16 outside diameter, can anyone tell me what I have, I stripped it all down and plan on having it re-wrapped into a conventional, some help there would be great, how many guides etc, oh, it's 11ft long also, thanks matt

What would you estimate the range of lure weights that it can handle? A 3/16 tip converts to a #12 tip. A guess would be 2-4 ounces. As far as the number of guides for a conventional set up, probably 7-9 guides starting with a #25, then 20, 3 x 16 and 3-4 X12 plus a tip with a #12 ring.

first find the spine and go from there..start where you want your 1st guide to be from the reel seat and as you go to the tip keep loading the rod ...as the rod blank loads the line from the guide you have on the rod will want to touch the blank....put the guide so the line does not touch the blank and keep going to the tip....with casters if the guides are placed right the line will touch the blank in extreme cases the line will go from one side of the blank to other ...not good.... alot of guides will stop the line from controling your rod in your hand and you will feel a great feeling of "YOU" being in control of your rod......when the rod bends without enough guides the line going under the rod.....with alot of guides the line stays on top of the rod blank and you will feel the rod work and the fish fight better and you can control the fish perfectly....with a spinner the line stay under because the reel and guides work together with gravity....casting is on top so it has to be perfect balance on top of the rod blank or the line and reel want to go under the rod and you will have to fight the rod wanting to turn in your hand and the fish helping to turn the rod when its pulling....

What would you estimate the range of lure weights that it can handle? A 3/16 tip converts to a #12 tip. A guess would be 2-4 ounces. As far as the number of guides for a conventional set up, probably 7-9 guides starting with a #25, then 20, 3 x 16 and 3-4 X12 plus a tip with a #12 ring.

I decided to go with the cork grip with the x flock over it, a nice 6 inch cork foregrip, a 30 stripper guide, should be done in a month or so, I'll post picts of it when it s done,