Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

TruGlo shotgun sights? (turkey hunters)

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I'm making up a new turkey gun for this spring. Lighter, shorter, easier to carry.

I'd really like to use one of those TruGlo fiber optic Tru-point turkey sights. They attach with screws to the vent rib, and seem to present an excellent sight picture.

Has anyone used them, or could give a review?

tia

I'm making up a new turkey gun for this spring. Lighter, shorter, easier to carry.

I'd really like to use one of those TruGlo fiber optic Tru-point turkey sights. They attach with screws to the vent rib, and seem to present an excellent sight picture.

Has anyone used them, or could give a review?

tia

Rough to get old ain't it, need a lighter gun, can,t see like I used to need some help getting to your stand, camo depends..................

Rough to get old ain't it, need a lighter gun, can,t see like I used to need some help getting to your stand, camo depends..................

Well ya, and my old gun is a relic, and had a misfire last spring. :laugh:

An ancient Remington 1100 my Dad bought for me in 1966. I installed a 1.75x4 power Bushnell scope on it years ago. But even on a sling, it's just too heavy. Plus, I hav e a sneaking suspicion the reflection coming off the glass of the scope might have cost me a couple of big toms in recent years. :squid:

Bob, both of my hunting buddies switched to the tru glo when they hit 60. They love them. Come up quick easy to get on target. You have to be more careful walking through the woods because the are not as strong as iron sights, and will crack. this said both guys are very happy with the switch. Put a box of cheep stuff through your gun to get used to the new sights.

Bob, both of my hunting buddies switched to the tru glo when they hit 60. They love them. Come up quick easy to get on target. You have to be more careful walking through the woods because the are not as strong as iron sights, and will crack. this said both guys are very happy with the switch. Put a box of cheep stuff through your gun to get used to the new sights.

Thanks.

But that's the rap I heard against those sights a couple years back. They can crack, or fall off entirely in the woods. :shock: The earlier models were attached with double backed adhesive tape if I recall. But the newer models come with allen screws, and they are fastened directly to the vent rib. NWTF endorses them, so they have to be OK, right?

Do your hunting partners use these models?

Bob, I used to use tru-glo sights on my turkey gun, mine mounted on the vent rib as a u-channel through pure friction and never budged a millimeter. the durability was exceptional.  I eventually switced to a red dot sight and it far and away is better (for me that is) than trad. sights. They are light, plenty durable and you can really dial them in like a scope if you shoot a real tight pattern. 

I didn't like the regular sights (or fiber optics) because i always felt unsecure about putting the bead on the head/neck of a turkey with the barrel obstucting the visibilbity of the rest of the bird. Just a preference thing, as I killled many birds with those tru glo's (and deer) and generally like, just not love. I will say that I've heard some guys as they age (not joking here) have difficulty with sights like that where you are lining up front and rear sights and the target. Dunno, i'm still a whippersnapper. If you ever want to check out my turkey stick, i can post some pics or you're welcome to see it in person and try it if you'd like. the red dot sights just provide and exceptional sight picture, similar to a scope without weight, bulk, or magnification. Cost isn't outrageous either..

I have the old style tape on version. Works great, nice and bright and easy to line up. My front sight could use re-taping - it sometimes slides down the vent rib when walking through a brushy area. I've gotten in the habit of checking it whenever I set up on a bird, and push it forward if it needs it.

The Allen setscrew sounds like a big improvement. I haven't looked at one other than mine so I didn't even realize they made that change.

I have two truglow sights, but both are red dot. Now, Ill say that I totally love them, and the one that is an "open" style vs a cylinder style is super light, and just awesome. I'd add as well, that Davescarp nailed something - the fullbody sight picture offered by red dot sights is really awesome...

The fiber optic versions are great as well if you definately prefer open sights... if you on the fence at all though, i'd encourage you to check out the red dot options from them (TruGlow)... for 50-70 bucks (pending sale prices) it's a really great turkey sight.

Bob, I used to use tru-glo sights on my turkey gun, mine mounted on the vent rib as a u-channel through pure friction and never budged a millimeter. the durability was exceptional.  I eventually switced to a red dot sight and it far and away is better (for me that is) than trad. sights. They are light, plenty durable and you can really dial them in like a scope if you shoot a real tight pattern. 

I didn't like the regular sights (or fiber optics) because i always felt unsecure about putting the bead on the head/neck of a turkey with the barrel obstucting the visibilbity of the rest of the bird. Just a preference thing, as I killled many birds with those tru glo's (and deer) and generally like, just not love. I will say that I've heard some guys as they age (not joking here) have difficulty with sights like that where you are lining up front and rear sights and the target. Dunno, i'm still a whippersnapper. If you ever want to check out my turkey stick, i can post some pics or you're welcome to see it in person and try it if you'd like. the red dot sights just provide and exceptional sight picture, similar to a scope without weight, bulk, or magnification. Cost isn't outrageous either..

I have two truglow sights, but both are red dot. Now, Ill say that I totally love them, and the one that is an "open" style vs a cylinder style is super light, and just awesome. I'd add as well, that Davescarp nailed something - the fullbody sight picture offered by red dot sights is really awesome...

The fiber optic versions are great as well if you definately prefer open sights... if you on the fence at all though, i'd encourage you to check out the red dot options from them (TruGlow)... for 50-70 bucks (pending sale prices) it's a really great turkey sight.

Besides making a lighter gun, the primary reason I want to ditch the scope is I think it might have cost me a couple of real nice toms over the past couple years. :squid: On two occasions, I had hot toms walking right in, gobbling like damn fools. I was up against a big stump on both occasions, in the mandated full camo, face mask, gloves, and even the gun camo'ed. Tom comes in with the sun behind him, he's hot as hell. I have the gun shouldered, safety off, no movement on my part, just waiting for those final 10 yards. No way this bird can see me. Then suddenly, looking right in my direction, he alarm putts, and trots off. :wave: I'm convinced it was the reflection from the glass off my scope. :(

Otherwise, I can't imagine I'd have any trouble adjusting to modified rifle sights. Truthfully, I'd actually welcome not seeing the entire bird when I shoot, as this will really force me to focus on the kill zone.

But I did talk to a guy a few years back who said his Truglo sight with allen screws loosened up while sighting it in at the range.

He told me the part that clamped onto the vent rib was not perfectly flat underneath, but rather slightly rounded for some odd reason. So when clamped onto the vent rib with the allen screws it was not completely flush with the rib. But rather, had a slight bump in the middle, causing it to wobble upon report of a heavy load such as a turkey load or deer slug.

This may have been an earlier model of the sight, and perhaps the defect has been corrected.

I have a HIVIZ on an 1187.Goes on the rib with a magnet. Shot the heck out of it with heavy loads-no problem. I also have used several different brands on several different handguns extensively. They really do breathe new light into old eyes. Red works best for me, and i feel the smallest diameter fiber (dot showing) gives me the sense of better accuracy.They do break, but in my experience, they break during recoil, and if you keep an eye on them, they change in clarity, or get a little more opaque before they go, so you can swap the fiber in due time. Nope, not as good from a pure shooting perspective as a C-more style sight, but for your application- perfect.

could be on the reflection bob, as you know the turkeys have incredible vision.  I shoot the heaviest of the heaviest loads, and never once did i have a problem with tru'glo's.. the front bead screwed into the rib, the hind sight again fitted onto the rib with a u-channel. anyway, give them a try and i'll bet you'll like it!!! only about a month or a month and a half till the birds start gobblin. with the warm winter, who knows, maybe earlier... heard there were woodcock on the north shore as of last week

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

Besides making a lighter gun, the primary reason I want to ditch the scope if I think it might have cost me a couple of real nice toms over the past couple years. cwm13.gif On two occasions, I had hot toms walking right in, gobbling like damn fools. I was up against a big stump on both occasions, in the mandated full camo, face mask, gloves, and even the gun camo'ed. Tom comes in with the sun behind him, he's hot as hell. I have the gun shouldered, safety off, no movement on my part, just waiting for those final 10 yards. No way this bird can see me. Then suddenly, looking right in my direction, he alarm putts, and trots off. HappyWave.gif I'm convinced it was the reflection from the glass off my scope. frown.gif

Otherwise, I can't imagine I'd have any trouble adjusting to modified rifle sights. Truthfully, I'd actually welcome not seeing the entire bird when I shoot, as this will really force me to focus on the kill zone.

But I did talk to a gun a few years back who said his Truglo sight with allen screws loosened up while sighting it in at the range.

He told me the part that clamped onto the vent rib was not perfectly flat underneath, but rather slightly rounded for some odd reason. So when clamped onto the vent rib with the allen screws it was not completely flush with the rib. But rather, had a slight bump in the middle, causing it to wobble upon report of a heavy load such as a turkey load or deer slug.

This may have been an earlier model of the sight, and perhaps the defect has been corrected.