Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArcheryRob

Waders and drytop - only - question

15 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask a question on using waders with dry tops and did not wish to get into the Poo throwing match on the other thread. I am a close to shore fisherman and have the waders and Dry-top already. If I ever plan to fish through the surf and off shore in rough water I will but a dry suit and end it there.

My question is, does any one have a method for rolling down breathable waders to fit into the tunnel on the dry top. It's a PITA on shore to remove or pull up the dry top to unhook the chest waders to pee and I am sure it is impossible on a yak. I tried it and thought someone must have a method as it seems the straps are just in the way. I thought about cutting the straps and sewing snap clips to each end and removing them if using the dry top. But wanted to check here first.

I did not want to buy other gear, yet. I use the waders for duck hunting and don't want to buy multiple pairs for waterproof gear. I would like to use my breathable waders just without the boots. I agree with posters in the other thread about fleece being important. First way to tell is wash it and pull it out of the washer and it does not even need to go into the drier. Don't wear cotton anything.

With the waist high waders low and the drytop on, I slide the inner tunnel of the drytop inside the waders as far down on my hips as it will go. I then pull the waist highs up to waist height and tighten the belt snugly. Then the outer layer of the drytop is pulled down over the waders and fastened in place. Done! Over the course of a day you should re-check this.

I think that's a great idea to modify the waders you have for duck hunting to make unhooking easier. If I have to go I can relive myself sitting down. I undo the belt and my clips are in the front of my hodgmans. A male and females webbing connectors at the hardward store may work or perhaps some glued in or sewn in Velcro.

Here's a simple but what I think is a good idea! Make chest waders with a rubber gasket tunnel at the chest/arm pit area to be worn with a dry top.

What do you think?

Tiny? Wouldn't it work for all fish wading applications even without a drytop?

No disrespect, Bob. But they would have to retool/rework their product, and how many extra sales would it generate? A few hundred? Less? I can't see that it's worth it for them. Sadly, we kayak anglers are stuck with whatever comes out of other larger markets, like recreational kayaking, surfing, and so on.

This might be an absaloutely terrible idea but it may also set you apart from the crowd as a manufacturer. Those third world sweat shops would have no trouble slapping a rubber gasket onto a pair of waders.

Hi jack of thread over! Sorry!

On that note when I use the drytop wader combo I only buckle one shoulder strap so it's easier to use the on water facilities.

I'd be the first one to buy a pair.
I just shudder at the thought of getting in/out of such a contraption. "Hey...give me a hand getting that rubber part over my waist" :shock: :shock: :shock: