Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ditch Jigga

Rock and Roll, Is it dead?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

The cycle is back to music producers holding the 'wand of power'. To make the most money in this paradigm you get one hitters, mainstream 'em, pipeline 'em push until the data says the projected returns are below whatever the desired percentage is then drop them like a hot turd (which 97% are) and move on to the next pipelined 'thing'. Problem is many of the 'acts' don't know **** and it shows. Pick any 'great' rock band and then look at the time line for the dues they paid before being able to make their 'own' distinctive sound regardless of the complexity of the music. I would guess the average is between 5-10 years, not 3-16 months like most of these folks today. AND they 'great bands' started when they were like 15-16, not age 10.

that's a big reason I hate American Idol,

take a bunch of people,

find the ones that can carry a tune,

let them sing other people's songs,

no need to play an instrument,

and we'll provide you the look, your persona, and a record deal.

then go away when we don't own you any more.

I agree with Brian that the system has changed so bands no longer spend years struggling to perfect their craft. But I disagree that the power is back, or is ever going back, in the hands of the 'big record companies'.

One hit wonders and media creations will always be out there, but between youtube, filesharing and social media a band can go from playing tiny clubs to Madison Square Garden in a flash. They've never been less dependent on a promoter if they have some talent. But going from underground to 2 million hits on youtube overnight is bad for the music.

there is an new wave uprising of underground hardcore out there. maybe they will blaze a new trail over the old one that has grown over.

i still crank 70,s 80's and 90's punk all the time...can't get enough.:D

My nephew just left NJ to join a band in Oregon. He's an excellent drummer. He has won some awards locally and has in in a few bands but this is his first touring group. The band is unsigned. Their name is "Icarus the Owl". They are currently in the studio and then will be touring. Hopefully they will be successful. Icarus the Owl found him on YouTube. He did a couple of drum covers of their songs. You can watch him on YouTube if you do a search for minimatt7. Good luck, Rob!

this is part of the reason i listen to metal!  they are not trying to put out hit 'radio' songs!  that and they are pretty musically sound.  not some yaaay big smile strum a guitar bs.