Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patno6

Pikies

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Every offseason I try to identify one new technique or lure type or place to work on the next season. his year, I've decided to start using the big pikie more. I've purchased a number of big GRS and Rhode Island Popper pikies in the past, but never really got them in the water that much, and am fixin' to change that this year. One thing that has held me off on throwin' those beasts is they weigh in at about 4.5oz and I never really felt comfortable tossing them on my GSB 132. What rods do you guys use for throwing stuff that big, or am I just over-sensitive about my own rods?

those pikie's will over load a gsb132L but the gsb132M should be fine......I got a sb1205m conv (glass) I use....but most rods the people jig with(in the canal) will work.....my mojo 2-6oz would throw them

^ Yep. I used a Mojo 2-6 to throw them a couple of seasons ago, and a Legend 2-6 last year. I also used a Legend 3/4-4 throwing them a few times, but didn't really lean into it.

I was thinking the mojo would work. I have a rainshadow 1208, which works, but I really.don't like the feel/action/weight of that rod and would love something a little lighter with a better cast.

As mentioned earlier this year, it's a relatively new rod, but check out the Temple Fork 10'6" 2-8. I have thrown 4.5 without a problem, havent thrown much more than that though.