Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squidder 329

Looking for Direction Help

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have an event to attend in East Hampton this weekend leaving from just outside of Phila saturday about 7am and returning sunday afternoon about 3p. Looking for some local knowledge to avoid traffic. PM's are fine> Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about from when you get to NYC to E. Hampton? Because there's really only one wway to get there when you hit long island, Montauk highway

Trying to avoid NY city, was going to rely on my Garmin. Not sure which bridges to take and so on, not at all firmilar with the area. I'll be heading up the NJ turnpike and trying to avoid congestion.

Yeah, once you are on the LIE, take it to exit 70 and head south on CR 111 until you get to the end, then head east on Rt. 27. That will take you to East Hampton.

Getting from PA. to the LIE is another story that I have no knowledge of.

Trying to avoid NY city, was going to rely on my Garmin. Not sure which bridges to take and so on, not at all firmilar with the area. I'll be heading up the NJ turnpike and trying to avoid congestion.

The GWB route might be best.

There's no way to avoid going through NYC to get to LI from NJ. You have to take one of the bridges from Staten Island, the Bronx or one of the tunnels/bridges across Manhattan. All of which are part of NYC.

Usually, coming from the South, I take the Outer Bridge to Staten Island, then the VZ to the Belt and take that East to the Southern State on out. If you have a truck that you can't take the parkways with, you'll have to do the GW/Throgs Neck, or I-495 across Manhattan. My friend drives a crane truck to deliver flag poles from LI to lots of places South of here. He always takes the 495 right through Manhattan and swears it's the shortest and fastest route, early in the AM when he leaves (2 or 3 AM)

The best bet is plan your travel to be going through the city on off hours. Very early morning (before 6 AM), middle of the day, or after 8 PM during the week.

There are also lots of back roads to take to avoid traffic through the Hamptons, but as long as you're not headed out there before 9 AM, you should be able to avoid the "trade parade" down Montauk Highway this time of year.

The earlier you leave the better,without a doubt. To the east (L.I) as Leatherface suggested is one way. OR, Outter bridge to the Verrizano onto the Belt pkwy east towards LI . Stay east bound on the belt to the Southern State pkwy east LI . To Rt 27 E to your destination. Calling for some weather this weekend, take that into consideration, lower temps (black Ice) .Going home is definitely another story southern(NJ), Good Luck...

The earlier you leave the better,without a doubt. To the east (L.I) as Leatherface suggested is one way. OR, Outter bridge to the Verrizano onto the Belt pkwy east towards LI . Stay east bound on the belt to the Southern State pkwy east LI . To Rt 27 E to your destination. Calling for some weather this weekend, take that into consideration, lower temps (black Ice) .Going home is definitely another story southern(NJ), Good Luck...

This is the way I would go, I avoid the Bronx as much as I can.. Not that the belt and southern state is much better. Like they said, travel on off hours if possible.... Be safe and enjoy your trip to traffic hell....

I have and do alot of driving, def the easiest route is jersey tnpke to outer bridge to verranzono bridge onto the belt pkway which becomes southern state parkway when that ends you will follow 27 east into east hampton. Plan on being in east hampton by 9 am to beat the traffic . There is a good diner at your 1st left turn after the car dealers in south hampton . This time of year and on a sat. You will not hit alot of traffic. Have a safe trip

I think you'll be fine with the traffic through NJ, SI, and most part the Belt Pkwy at that time.

Takes me about 3 +/- hrs from my place to the phily area so figure no traffic 4 1/2 hrs for your trip with little to no traffic.

And when you are get off the main highway and go through the hamptons towns, DON"T speed. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWorms View Post

Outter bridge to the Verrizano onto the Belt pkwy east towards LI . Stay east bound on the belt to the Southern State pkwy east LI . To Rt 27 E to your destination.

For 3 years I lived in DE and went this way almost every weekend. On Sat and Sun the traffic in the directions you're going should be acceptable unless there is an accident. I always tried to take the Outerbridge (exit 10) since the toll plaza at the Goethels (exit 13) backs up easily with the fubar E-Z pass configuration. BTW, if you don't have an E-Z pass, I'd consider getting one, that could save you considerable time given the number of tolls you'll pass through. After you get off the Outerbridge going north, you have a very limited time to get right for the belt, or else get forced onto another parkway.

I have and do alot of driving, def the easiest route is jersey tnpke to outer bridge to verranzono bridge onto the belt pkway which becomes southern state parkway when that ends you will follow 27 east into east hampton. Plan on being in east hampton by 9 am to beat the traffic . There is a good diner at your 1st left turn after the car dealers in south hampton . This time of year and on a sat. You will not hit alot of traffic. Have a safe trip

+1