Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old_username

Jigging Technique

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

confused.gif Just finished reading an article on bucktail jigs and colors on another website, bassdozer.com.He states that unless the jig is presented and worked properly,no color will produce fish.Being rather new to all this, just how is this done? In all the books and articles I have read,I don`t recall this technique being covered.Also what makes the best trailer,rubba,squid, or pork rind? Thanks GWK

Toss em out there, and begin a slow retrieve with GENTLE lifts of the rod tip. Some guys really yank on the line and "hop" the jig frantically, I always have done best with a SLOW constant retrieve (keeping it right above the bottom) and a gentle lift every 4-6 handle turns. Sometimes all you have to do is let the bucktail/jig drift with the current and "nymph" it (TIMS told me about this technique). Most important is the weight of the leadhead, gotta be the right weight so it doesent dig into the bottom, and will allow this bottom running retrieve. I dont know any other way to explain it. Good Luck.

JC

Jameson covered it .As far as fishing it properly,or no fish.That's nonsense.I've caught fish,as soon as the bucktail hit the water,laying dead on the bottom and everything in between.Just try to make it look like something alive,and you will catch fish.Watch it and you will see how it reacts to different methods.

I'm with CliffB...I came to SOL loaded with Freshwater knowledge and was quite frankly, humbled. I soaked up SOL like a sponge, felt like I was marching in line...and I'm still taken back to my early days...everything unpredictable. I have a lot to learn but still think I have already learned a lot. This means be prepared to try every presentation within the context of your knowledge of local conditions.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

[This message has been edited by JPL (edited 04-05-2002).]

My two favorite methods come to mind...

1. Floating your jig. Cast diagonally uptide with ONLY enough weight to get to bottom. Twitch, and let the current carry the jig until it touches bottom, and repeatt Keep taking up slack as the jig floats by you. Go to method #2 when the lure is downtide of you.

2. The scared chicken retrieve. Rreel as fast as you can for 6 turns of the handle, and STOP. Give it a second, and repeat until the lure is back at your feet. The hits usually come either right after the lure stops, or on the first turn of the handle, so be ready!

TH