Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

Rigging Gulp for Fluke Question

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

I have heard that Gulp mullet work really well for Fluke, and I want to try it this year. Where I fish, I've only seen it used once, and that one time the guy using it caught more Fluke than the rest of us. I trapped and used my own live mummichugs without catching any keepers, and I hope this summer Gulp! will change my luck. But I want to know how I should rig it up. Will a plain jig head be fine? How should I make the leader? :)

You’re in luck. I do well on flatfish on Gulp mullet. Use the 4” pearl white, with a red jig heads, the lighter the better, 1/4oz is great. That works on all sized fish 4” to 20”+. Gulp jerk shads work well also. White, pink, and chartreuse work in all shapes, experiment, but white has yielded the most catches. I have caught more flounder on that setup on the same day in the same spot over live minnows.

I haven't tried the mullet but have had very good luck with the 4 and 5" jerk shad on a 1/2 to 5/8oz jig head. Caught fish this way from boat, yak and shore.

6 Inch Swimming Mullet

7/0 Gami Octopus

Dropper Loop about 4 inches long.

Imbed hook all the way into Gulp, hook comes out behind the dorsal fin. Hook eye is buried 3/4 inch into Gulp.

Perfection loop at the bottom, handshake in a bank sinker and hold on.

Not a small fluke presentation. It killed for us last year and even won a couple of big tournaments.

Simple, effective.:)

There's bunch of ways - trailer on a jig head or bucktail, on a plain old bait tig, hi-lo, etc. You really can't go wrong with any method but you need to change in order to find what might work. Usually I use mine of a ~3/4oz spro with another gulp as a teaser.

I caught a bunch of flats on Gulp Mullet this past year,, all shorts for crying out loud..

Hi Lo rigs and another rig using a live bait hook 18 - 24" up from a bank sinker.

Best damned fluke bait I've used in 55 years of fishing. White, new penny, chartreuse - shrimp, swimming mullet, jerk shad. Keep them all in your box. One will do better than the rest on any given day.

Jerk Shad for me too, pearl white thrown into the wash along the beach works great. I caught my biggest fluke last summer on a fluke rig tipped with Gulp! white jerk shad 5''. Don't worry about getting too big of a Gulp! I have even caught shorty fluke on a 12'' Gulp! sand eel while drifting the jetty for stripers.

Best damned fluke bait I've used in 55 years of fishing. White, new penny, chartreuse - shrimp, swimming mullet, jerk shad. Keep them all in your box. One will do better than the rest on any given day.

That is the key. You should have a wide variety of bait types and switch frequently if called for. Effective leader rigging often spells the difference between success and failure and needs to be looked at .I use quite a few variations and some work far better than others on certain days. The Carolina Beach area, especially Snows cut is notorious for giant flounder and 10+ pounders are pretty common along with many pushing the 14 pound mark.

Oddly last year these fish would shy away from just about every bait i tried, even the favorite Jerk Shad in the New Penny colors . I cast netted some of the larger striped Mullets which are over a foot long and used the entire length of their sides as strip baits, about an inch wide and six to eight inches long with a V split tail and WOW. Just by changing from live finger mullet and Jerk Shads to big strip baits and working the eddies and points from shore i limited out in no time.

It was kind of funny because there were a lot of boats drifting the inlet with live finger mullet with very very few connecting. After pulling in a few on the strip baits i had two different boats pull up to the left of me and beach their skiffs. They walked up to me and said i saw you catching and want to know what your using, well they were surprised that i was using the same bait but in a different form.

These fish shy away from anything but the most natural of presentations, this means 15 to 20 pound flouro or nylon leader material, and hook sizes from 1/0 to 2/0 are often necessary to outwit these brutes.

There were other occasions where i was using my favorite bait (peanuts) in late September but the fish would not touch it, i was using 4/0 hooks, it made sense because even the 4/0 hook weighed down the peanut i was using at the time, and effected its action . It doesnt matter what bait you use if your presentation isn't effective.

When i went with a 2/0 Gamakatsu shiner hook and a longer leader it made the difference. Tinkering and making subtle adjustments can make a unproductive day into a productive one so don't be afraid to tinker until you hit upon the right combination.

The only thing that out-fished Gulp! was fluke strips, I would save the white belly side - from my keeper fluke and cut long strips out of the filet. I store the strips in my pro cut squid which is soaked in shedder crab juice, I'll use this if the Floundah's aren't biting the rubber.

[/u]

That is the key. You should have a wide variety of bait types and switch frequently if called for. Effective leader rigging often spells the difference between success and failure and needs to be looked at .I use quite a few variations and some work far better than others on certain days. The Carolina Beach area, especially Snows cut is notorious for giant flounder and 10+ pounders are pretty common along with many pushing the 14 pound mark.

Oddly last year these fish would shy away from just about every bait i tried, even the favorite Jerk Shad in the New Penny colors . I cast netted some of the larger striped Mullets which are over a foot long and used the entire length of their sides as strip baits, about an inch wide and six to eight inches long with a V split tail and WOW. Just by changing from live finger mullet and Jerk Shads to big strip baits and working the eddies and points from shore i limited out in no time.

It was kind of funny because there were a lot of boats drifting the inlet with live finger mullet with very very few connecting. After pulling in a few on the strip baits i had two different boats pull up to the left of me and beach their skiffs. They walked up to me and said i saw you catching and want to know what your using, well they were surprised that i was using the same bait but in a different form.

These fish shy away from anything but the most natural of presentations, this means 15 to 20 pound flouro or nylon leader material, and hook sizes from 1/0 to 2/0 are often necessary to outwit these brutes. I was using hook sizes in the 4/0 range but they would not touch it, it made sense because even the 4/0 hook weighed down the peanut i was using at the time, and effected its action .When i went with a 2/0 Gamakatsu shiner hook and a longer leader it made the difference. Tinkering and making subtle adjustments can make a unproductive day into a productive one.

Cnnashman, we should hit the flatfish together sometime this spring, were in the same area.

Fishing gulp is almost like cheating. But like any fishing you have to find the fish first. I've had mornings where I could burn a simple bucktail and teaser both tipped with gulp back to the jetty and several fluke would be swimming on top of each other to get to it.

Fishing gulp is almost like cheating. But like any fishing you have to find the fish first. I've had mornings where I could burn a simple bucktail and teaser both tipped with gulp back to the jetty and several fluke would be swimming on top of each other to get to it.

That's my preferred fluke rig when gulpin'. Bucktail. Keep it simple and keep it swimming.

6 Inch Swimming Mullet

7/0 Gami Octopus

Dropper Loop about 4 inches long.

Imbed hook all the way into Gulp, hook comes out behind the dorsal fin. Hook eye is buried 3/4 inch into Gulp.

Perfection loop at the bottom, handshake in a bank sinker and hold on.

Not a small fluke presentation. It killed for us last year and even won a couple of big tournaments.

Simple, effective.:)

Yup, what he said

But when the bigger baits arrive, mullet and snappers, the gulp goes back in its jar.