Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishit 2

Newell spool problem...

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm currently using an AL Newell spool on my Penn modded 140 Squidder with Tiburon frame, I have heard guys saying they have the same problem with too much play in the side to side action of the spool - can anyone confirm if the Penn AL spool is wider than the Newell? Hate to put out even more money if I'll have the same problem with the Penn spool as well... Any suggestions would be appreciated

4c748941-0168-4a02.jpg

Mods: sorry for not posting this in the reel forum

How much side to side play is there? So much play where the spool adjuster cap can't remove it? That's interesting that one would pay so much for a kit like that where it doesn't perform properly. I know those kits cost a few bucks. There's got to be a way to shim that spool. IMO, that might be a solution.smile.gif

Yeah Jimmy, there is significant space between the spool and base, I'm sure if I used any line smaller than 35# test it would get caught in between. I contacted all the sellers who supply Tiburon frames and they all said tge Newell spool should fit but it doesn't. I bought a NIB Newell spool for $30 since I was told it would fit but it doesn't - I guess I'll have to look for a Penn AL spool since I have all this money put into this reel.

I'm wondering if I can make this spool longer by adjusting/unscrewing the spool post, but I really don't want to mess with it too much... And Tiburon does not make a spool for the 140 - only the 146.

If you measured the width of the spool and than measured the width of the inside frame where the spool enters the frame on both sides, will there be a difference in the width's? My point being, that maybe the spool and frame are the same width, but the problem lies elsewhere. I had this issue with a reel years back. 

I had a Newell spool in one of my 140s. The clearance to the sideplate was not big enough to cause problems. A Penn aluminum spool flange is very close to 2.10 inches in diameter at the edge and the width from edge to edge of the spool is 2.125.

(just measured one of mine. ;) ) Hope this helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

I had a Newell spool in one of my 140s. The clearance to the sideplate was not big enough to cause problems. A Penn aluminum spool flange is very close to 2.10 inches in diameter at the edge and the width from edge to edge of the spool is 2.125.

(just measured one of mine. wink.gif ) Hope this helps

So with this in mind, I'm thinking the diameter of the spool is the issue Stewie? Not the width, correct?

How about pulling out a bearing and adding another shim so the adjustment knob does not bottom out and run out of threads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XBMX View Post

How about pulling out a bearing and adding another shim so the adjustment knob does not bottom out and run out of threads.

I thought the same thing. But I think the problem is the diameter of the spool, not the width. I just find it hard to believe that the kits come with parts that are not compatible. I know those kits aren't cheap!

Are you sure it is a Newell spool for the Squidder and not a spool for the Newell 235 or perhaps a 229? I have built squidders with newell spools using both Newell frames, Tiburon frames, Newell bars ,Penn side plates etc. and never had this occur.

Marc

I bought the Newell spool off of eBay - the only markings on the spool are "CN" on the side. The seller stated that is was for/compatible with the 140. I'll try to get a pic up, I'm using my iPhone camera so I'm not sure if it will be able to be seen that well.

Just checked around for a Penn AL spool, can't find one for under $36, for the money I'm putting into this reel I would be halfway toward getting that Saltiga surf reel I have been wanting...

Originally you said you had excess play side to side. You should be able to run in the left bearing and almost stop the spool from excess pressure. If when bottoming out the left bearing adjustment you still have play side to side try a Penn spool and see if there is a improvment. This would tell you if the Newell spool itself is at fault or its the frame. The shaft demintion overall left to right may be short permitting the play, thats why I mentioned shimming under the bearing. This limits side to side play. The other possiability is that the frame is to wide but highly unlikely.

I tightened the bearing just about as far as it would go - would this cause any problems with performance? After screwing it down it seems to have helped a little bit, I could live with it - not as much side to side play as before but I haven't had to really torque a side bearing as much as this, I guess this will have to do. Will this cause the bearings to wear faster?

Thanks again for all the help guys...