Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishysob

corrosion on van stall spool

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Just stripped line off my spool and noticed corrosion where the braid lays on spool over drag clicker mount. Anyone else have this happen? If so will I be out 200 bucks for a new spool or will they cover it. Serviced it every year but one and that was because of lack of use. New baby. Was rinsed off regularly and not submerged except a quick dunking for getting sand out. Appreciate any imput. Thanks!

It can happen to almost any reel. That's why I coat the spool with bee's wax by spinning it on the line winder and rubbing it with a block of wax, you can also use parafin wax. Shops catering to the offshore crowd has been doing this for years. 

As far as your reel goes, no need to get a new spool - sand off the loose stuff and apply two coats of Rust Bullet on the bare metal spots. 

It can happen to almost any reel. That's why I coat the spool with bee's wax by spinning it on the line winder and rubbing it with a block of wax, you can also use parafin wax. Shops catering to the offshore crowd has been doing this for years. 

As far as your reel goes, no need to get a new spool - sand off the loose stuff and apply two coats of Rust Bullet on the bare metal spots. 

+1, absolutely not a reason to replace the spool.

Its pitted pretty bad though. Started on clicker mount and spread up through the spool so its almost entirely corroded through and pitted on top making me fear that the braid will nick. Thats my main concern.

Its a 200 bailess. Not sure but I think its 6 or 7 years old. Its#11069. Think I will get in contact with van stall before I do anything. Thanks! Would post a pic but I'm pretty much computer illiterate and dont know how. When I was in school we had the old apple computers which were pretty much a word processor.

My VS 200 spools rear edges have no anadising on them from reeling when reel is full of wave washed sand. Had no choice in the matter with fish on. Unless the anadising is missing on the spool lip which will interfere with line coming off the spool efficiently I would just fish on. If it is really bad maybe the spool can be re-worked by VS. Why not ask them? If they can do this would be cheaper maybe than a new spool.

Mike

Im having the same problem where the drag stack goes, now mine is an unsealed VS but i dont dunk it or do any of that unless for some reason sand gets in the reel, but im very concerned about this because my drag locks up when it gets splashed by a small wave. Im sending my reel in 2moro for service and i wrote on the sheet what my problem was, so i hope they can resolve the problem for both you and me.

Just stripped line off my spool and noticed corrosion where the braid lays on spool over drag clicker mount. Anyone else have this happen? If so will I be out 200 bucks for a new spool or will they cover it. Serviced it every year but one and that was because of lack of use. New baby. Was rinsed off regularly and not submerged except a quick dunking for getting sand out. Appreciate any imput. Thanks!

I just took a look at my VS200 and there is some corrosion on mine too. This is the first time I've had line off it since I bought it in Sept 09. I can't get a close up picture of it but basically there is corrosion on the screw and a little in the drain holes right by it but none on the spool. I'm going to try putting some warm water on a Q-tip and see if i can wipe it off.