Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrGreen740

Wire Leader/Bite Tippet

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to make a leader/bite tippet to chase some pike this spring. I bought myself some knot-able wire and am looking for tips on how to use it. Any knot suggestions? And yes, I do have cabin fever. Thanks!

Tony

Basically the same as with the mono:

Albright for the Mono to Wire union

Rapala knot or similar for the fly.

I only use wire for small flies as all the brands I've tried tend to coil a little bit when you pull the knot even Tyger or AFW have the this problem.

My go to for the pike is 60Lb Fluoro,I had no issues of being cut and I fish for pike a lot, my personal best with fluoro is a 24Lb Northern Pike.

Good luck with those pikes! if you think your fly is too big...put a bigger one ;)

Try heavy fluorocarbon. I switched over from using wire a few years ago. I pulled a 20 lb pike through the ice on light line with a 30lb floro leader. Holds up well with their teeth, and won't spook em.

i used Rio tieable wire last summer. You can use just about any knot you want. I used a double surgeons to attach the wire to my tippet and a no slip loop knot to attach the fly. I did use on 3 turns on the no slip knot.