Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frezzy

Question about butt length on 10'6" rod - need help!

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

So, I just picked up a new custom today. Unfortunately, it looks like we had some miscommunication while specking out the rod. I had asked the builder to build the rod with 26" from the reel stem to the butt, but they wrote it down as a 26" butt length. For them the butt length is from the bottom of the reel seat to the rod butt. The outcome is ended up with 29.5" from the reel stem to the butt which is considerably longer than I expected. I'm tall at 6'3" and have very long arms and could probably make due, but after spending $500+ I'm not happy with the rod. My questions is on a 10'6" blank will I sacrifice casting distance with such a long length between the stem and rod butt???

That is unfortunate. If it was my rod I would have the builder take three inches of the butt to make the rod 10'3 but with the 26" grip. It would be better to sacrifice total rod length than to have a rod with a handle that is too long.

One piece or two? The reason I ask is that if it is a two-piece then the builder can put a new reel seat on in the correct location without stripping all the guides. Problem is that the builder, hopefully, placed the guides based on the position of the reel seat, so by moving the reel seat the guide placement would be off. It may not be noticeable, but it wouldn't be ideal, that is to say if the builder DID position the guides based on the reel seat. That is why I suggest the 3" off the butt fix.

but after spending $500+ I'm not happy with the rod.

That, by itself, is reason enough to go back to the builder and try to resolve this. There's no reason to do it in an accusatory manner -- this sounds like an honest misunderstanding -- but give your guy a chance to make you happy (and when he doesn't, post here so we can flame him :D). Any conscientious builder will not be satisfied until you're satisfied, so give your builder a chance to make this right.

I don't build rods commercially, so it's easy for me to tell professional rodbuilders what to do. That said, though, go back to your builder. This should be something that can be resolved without moving heaven and earth.

That, by itself, is reason enough to go back to the builder and try to resolve this. There's no reason to do it in an accusatory manner -- this sounds like an honest misunderstanding -- but give your guy a chance to make you happy (and when he doesn't, post here so we can flame him :D). Any conscientious builder will not be satisfied until you're satisfied, so give your builder a chance to make this right.

I don't build rods commercially, so it's easy for me to tell professional rodbuilders what to do. That said, though, go back to your builder. This should be something that can be resolved without moving heaven and earth.

Belmo,

I agree with you and actually did give them a chance to make things right. I'm expecting a call back from them by Thursday. They have a very good reputation so I fully expect them to try and fix the problem.

Frezzy

One piece or two? The reason I ask is that if it is a two-piece then the builder can put a new reel seat on in the correct location without stripping all the guides. Problem is that the builder, hopefully, placed the guides based on the position of the reel seat, so by moving the reel seat the guide placement would be off. It may not be noticeable, but it wouldn't be ideal, that is to say if the builder DID position the guides based on the reel seat. That is why I suggest the 3" off the butt fix.

2 piece. Good point you make about moving the real seet and the effect it will have on guide placement. I'm no expert but 3" seems like a lot so I'm guessing my guide placement would definitely be off.

One more thing -- if you're OK with having a rod 3 inches shorter than it is right now, lopping 3 inches off the butt will not greatly affect anything other than the overall length: the guide spacing will still be fine, the rod will still cast and fight fish Ok, etc.(cutting it will, though, likely void the blank's warranty). 3 inches of a 10'6" rod is only about 2% of the total length, so if your builder is willing to cut three inches off, and you're OK with it, this might be a satisfactory resolution for everyone. I for one would not think twice about losing 2 or 3 inches off a rod of this length.

And there's one other advantage of this: you can fish the rod you have for a while, and bring it back if and only if you decide that the handle is too long. You just might find, after fishing this rod the way it is now, that you like it enough that you want to keep things where they are now.

im 6'5" tall with an armspan of 6'10", i am working on an 11' rod now and i placed the reelseat at 27" to the center. it feels great when casting but as i write this im looking at it in the corner of the room and it does look long. i dont know what i will end up doing but i would have no problem with cutting a few inches off the butt.

But... of course we understand your point that you wanted a custom 10'6" rod and not a 10'3" rod. The builder should be willing to work with you on this. It's the old measure twice, cut once rule. I am always calling and emailing customers confirming different aspects of the build. It may be annoying for some to have to tell me more than once, but I want to avoid any miscommunication, regardless, it does happen. I hope you find a solution you are happy with.

I'm not here to knock the builder...but I think most builders measure the handle length from the butt to the center of the reel seat. The exception to this is a fighting butt on a fly rod where the measurement would start at the base of the reel seat and extend to the end of the fighting butt. The rear "grip" would be a different measurement also -- extending from the end of the reel seat to the butt cap if you were doing a cork or EVA "grip", So, if you wanted a 12" cork rear grip, the handle length (from the center of the reel seat to the end of the butt) would probably be about 16".

To be clear, I am suggesting that AFTER you negotiate a solution with the builder/shop, use the rod for a bit before cutting the butt or moving the seat.

im 6'5" tall with an armspan of 6'10", i am working on an 11' rod now and i placed the reelseat at 27" to the center. it feels great when casting but as i write this im looking at it in the corner of the room and it does look long.

I did something similar with a conventional surf rod. I'm only 6 feet tall, but I have long, ape-like arms, and when I moved the reel seat around when I was configuring things, I found that I liked a reel seat placement that is almost ridiculously long, something like 27 or 28 inches from the butt. But I wasn't afraid to go with this, because A) I tested it plenty, both casting and retrieving, before I installed the reel seat, and B) this kind of unconventional setup is really where custom rods shine. There's no rule, for example, that says a reel seat has to be between 23 and 25 inches from the butt; if you want something different, then by all means do it.

I will say that for spinning rods, I don't like a butt this long. Something around 24 inches does feel better to me on spinners.

I mention this, by the way, with the hope that you try this rod, at least with a few test cast-and-retrieve efforts. You may want to end up returning it; but you might end up wanting to keep it. Don't assume just because it's longer than you wanted that you will not like it -- if you haven't tried it yet, you might be surprised when you do.

But... of course we understand your point that you wanted a custom 10'6" rod and not a 10'3" rod.

Everyone gets this. The guy got something that is different than what he wanted, and that is a problem.

The reason that I mentioned cutting the blank from the butt is that lopping 3 inches off the butt will not make much of an impact on the rod's fishability. Yes, it will be 123 inches long, rather than 126. And yes, the action will be very, very slightly slower than it was before the cut. And yes, these things are not exactly what the guy wanted.

But if the builder said to me: Hey, look. This was an honest understanding, so here's what I think we should do. I'll cut three inches off the butt, and you keep this rod. Then, you can have a second rod, at cost. A rod that would normally cost $550, you can have for $200 (or whatever), I'd take this in a heartbeat. Because after about 10 minutes you're not going to notice a difference without the 3 extra inches: the rod will fish about the same as it did beforehand.

True, it's not exactly what he wanted, but it's very close, and saving $300 or more on another new custom rod would be a tradeoff I'd gladly make -- and who doesn't need another good custom rod, of one kind or another?