PENN Fishing

Your best Penn related picture

975 posts in this topic

hey bennie,  you got me intrigued, so i cleaned up the foot a bit and definitely nothing stamped. as to line capacity how would one determine that ?

A 150yd is 2in quarter and a 250yd is 2in half from plate to plate,,,,:eek: the bad news is you're handle if you can get the right one and fix it $,,,,the good news is that's a 3 post and the clicker is a waffel,,,,the round button is hardest to find?

Posted (edited) · Report post

wow bennie, you really know your penns. thks

just checked 1 3/4"  inside distance and 2 1/2" outside

Edited by mark d
clarification

22 mins ago, mark d said:

wow bennie, you really know your penns. thks

I have a small collection and know a little,,,,but 1badf350 I'll find him,,,,,:)

12 hours ago, bennie said:

I have a small collection and know a little,,,,but 1badf350 I'll find him,,,,,:)

Benni pretty much summed it up. Its easy to put an exact date on this one. 1933 was the first official manufacturing year of Penn and the only year of the 3 post design.

Your handle, unfortunately, looks to be of an Ocean City and is soldered on. In my opinion leave it be other than find a replacement screw for the missing one. I think you risk damaging it by trying to replace the handle. The plastic of the collar behind the handle is very brittle and will crack easily. 

top photo is the stuff i actually fish

middle photo is stuff i sadly don't get to much anymore

bottom is my extremely modest old penn collection. all but the 85 are from the 30's unless i am mistaken

23 hours ago, mark d said:

hey bennie, i bet you have some nice old penns. i know you are knowledgeable on that subject 

Ya I got some,,,,most is not this best of shape,,,,,,buying reels on line is a gamble,,,,,hehe,,,,,,,,:)

Taken summer of 1967 at the Oregon Inlet campground - oldest fishing picture of any of us I can find.  We're about to go surf fishing with my Dad, I'm the tall boy in the ECC sweatshirt.  I recognize one of the Penn casting reels we used on the pier (209 maybe), not sure about the spinners, my Dad's usual choice - but he leaned towards Penn for all his SW reels.  OH

IMG_0255 (2).jpg