Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sig0527

GSB Concept rod

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

just picked up my GSB 132 Concept rebuild from Lou Carusso. Anyone who had a rod built by him knows the level of quality he puts into his rods. He truely is an artist in his own field. I been wanting to rebuild my GSB with the Concept guide system for a long time now, and I'm glad I did it. Feels like a totally different rod...much improved! The rod is much more responsive and faster. I'm looking forward to further casts and better hook sets/fish fighting. Has anyone done this to their GSB? I would like to get some feedback on guys who have experience with this setup. Thanks! :)

When you say concept, do you mean lowrider guides? K-frame guides? Sorry, the terminology confuses the bajeeses out of me.

Fuji slaps the "concept" name onto virtually all of the newer-style frames. To build a rod "concept" usually refers to employing the "new guide concept" - smaller collector, quick transition to numerous small, closely spaced running guides, focusing on reducing weight towards the tip to enhance sensitivity and speed up blank recovery and improve casting distance by getting the line "quieted" down and flowing smoothly through the guides as efficiently as possible. This can, potentially, be accomplished with just about any type of guide.

just picked up my GSB 132 Concept rebuild from Lou Carusso. Anyone who had a rod built by him knows the level of quality he puts into his rods. He truely is an artist in his own field. I been wanting to rebuild my GSB with the Concept guide system for a long time now, and I'm glad I did it. Feels like a totally different rod...much improved! The rod is much more responsive and faster. I'm looking forward to further casts and better hook sets/fish fighting. Has anyone done this to their GSB? I would like to get some feedback on guys who have experience with this setup. Thanks! :)

I will give you my personal experience with the new concept guides. I have a GSB 1321m 11" with the new concept guide that was custom build for me. In total with the tip it has 13 guideswhich it has given me 2 major problems 1. all 13 guides affect the action of the rod and 2. it chokes the line meaning less distance. Since then I talked to a lot of people about my concerns and it seems many fellows prefer the 7 guide Fuji style on this particular rod. Again Lou Caruso did not build my rod and this might be the other issue I have. I just want to give you my 2 cents, because it is an amazing blank.

I bought a 1321m from a builder in a club, many years ago with low rider or concept or whatever you want to call it. he built it for himself, one of the first ones but need $..

it was my favorite blank when I fished with 132's by far. The rest of them were all set up with regular guides, the one with concept casted further, felt better, fought the fish better., its was almost "unlike" my other 1321m's..it was also the last to be sold.

I will give you my personal experience with the new concept guides. I have a GSB 1321m 11" with the new concept guide that was custom build for me. In total with the tip it has 13 guideswhich it has given me 2 major problems 1. all 13 guides affect the action of the rod and 2. it chokes the line meaning less distance.

Like anything else, if done wrong, the result can be really ugly. A NGC layout really needs to be done according to the specific reel and line that's going to be used, so there's really no such thing as an off-the-shelf "concept" rod and any builder that claims to be able to wrap you one and doesn't at least ask about those things is suspect at best, in my opinion.

The rod was rebuilt using the true NGC layout. A combination of KW and MN guides were used..... Good luck with it Steve.. I have done a few of these in the last 2 years. I have not had a complaint to date. 13 guides is an awful lot. I usually wind up with 8 or 9 guides depending on the reel seat placement and the reel size...

The rod was rebuilt using the true NGC layout. A combination of KW and MN guides were used..... Good luck with it Steve.. I have done a few of these in the last 2 years. I have not had a complaint to date. 13 guides is an awful lot. I usually wind up with 8 or 9 guides depending on the reel seat placement and the reel size...

Thanks again Lou. I love the rod and can't wait to use it....you did a fantastic job :)

Lou rebuilt a GSB120L using concept guides and I used to love it, better casting distance, light and i liked the way it handle fish, Until I broke it :( (user error), then he built me a super surf 120 with the same concept guides which I like it even more. Lou is the man, exellent work.

13 guides?? seems like maybe 5 or 6 too many guides. too many guides is going to be an issue so is not having enough guides.

I have two custom lamis built concept style, mine have 7 guides plus the tip, 11 ft rods.

The distance i get is about 20 yards more than the standard 5 guide layout that comes on most factory rods. Mine are built using the lowrider guides like on the st crox rods. Im currently building a new custom 11ft lami using the concept layout but this one will have k frames.

I personally love the concept layout, i only fish braid, never have any issues with line slap or twists, get more casting distance and an over better feel with the rod.

I think youll really like the rod. good luck with it.

Like anything else, if done wrong, the result can be really ugly. A NGC layout really needs to be done according to the specific reel and line that's going to be used, so there's really no such thing as an off-the-shelf "concept" rod and any builder that claims to be able to wrap you one and doesn't at least ask about those things is suspect at best, in my opinion.

I agree ... now I am trying to fix it. I think I should get a hold of Lou but I have no contact #. :(

13 guides?? seems like maybe 5 or 6 too many guides. too many guides is going to be an issue so is not having enough guides.

I have two custom lamis built concept style, mine have 7 guides plus the tip, 11 ft rods.

The distance i get is about 20 yards more than the standard 5 guide layout that comes on most factory rods. Mine are built using the lowrider guides like on the st crox rods. Im currently building a new custom 11ft lami using the concept layout but this one will have k frames.

I personally love the concept layout, i only fish braid, never have any issues with line slap or twists, get more casting distance and an over better feel with the rod.

I think youll really like the rod. good luck with it.

Lou rebuilt a GSB120L using concept guides and I used to love it, better casting distance, light and i liked the way it handle fish, Until I broke it :( (user error), then he built me a super surf 120 with the same concept guides which I like it even more. Lou is the man, exellent work.

Yea I'm sure I will enjoy it. Its incredible how much lighter the rod is...and so much more responsive. To get an additional 20 yards per cast is huge.