Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ahg

Starting plants indoors?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

It's the first time I'm going to be trying to grow brussel sprouts and butternut squash. Do I need to start them indoors early March or so or later or direct sow when it's spring?

Anyone grow brussel sprouts, I know SIM does not grow them.

I'll also be growing cucs and beets, doing away with tomatoes this year.

Aspi.....there is a thread here on page 2 or 3 about the brussel sprouts. (Actually, I just bumped it up for you.....see "Veggie Seed Recommendations")

As to the squash, you can start them indoors, or just sow them direct outside. Either way, it is WAY to early, even to sow them indoors. If you start them indoors to give them a head start, about the last week of April or the first week of May will do. Sowing direct outdoors, about May 15 -20.

If you DO start them indoors, start them in 6-packs, 3 seeds to a cell. And DO NOT transplant them to larger pots, simply transplant them directly into the ground. trying to disturb the roots as little as possible when doing so (Squash, melons, and cucumbers don't really like to be transplanted, but it can be done so long as you just pop out the root ball from the 6-pack and put it directly into the ground without breaking the roots up.) 2-3 plants planted together will do fine, then space your plantings about 2 feet apart.

Why no tomatoes?

I would direct seed the squash. Put 2-3 seeds in one spot about 1-2in apart and then choose the best looking one when they germ.

Brussel sprouts take a LOT of time and need a LOT of space to grow well. We use to grow them but not anymore because we just pick some up at the local farm stand. They are pretty cheap to buy so I would rather use the space to grow something else. If you do grow them try and get well started plants instead of starting from seed.

almost forgot- anyone see the brussel sprout x kale cross that johnnys has? They look interesting....

Aspi.....there is a thread here on page 2 or 3 about the brussel sprouts. (Actually, I just bumped it up for you.....see "Veggie Seed Recommendations")

As to the squash, you can start them indoors, or just sow them direct outside. Either way, it is WAY to early, even to sow them indoors. If you start them indoors to give them a head start, about the last week of April or the first week of May will do. Sowing direct outdoors, about May 15 -20.

If you DO start them indoors, start them in 6-packs, 3 seeds to a cell. And DO NOT transplant them to larger pots, simply transplant them directly into the ground. trying to disturb the roots as little as possible when doing so (Squash, melons, and cucumbers don't really like to be transplanted, but it can be done so long as you just pop out the root ball from the 6-pack and put it directly into the ground without breaking the roots up.) 2-3 plants planted together will do fine, then space your plantings about 2 feet apart.

Why no tomatoes?

I would direct seed the squash. Put 2-3 seeds in one spot about 1-2in apart and then choose the best looking one when they germ.

Brussel sprouts take a LOT of time and need a LOT of space to grow well. We use to grow them but not anymore because we just pick some up at the local farm stand. They are pretty cheap to buy so I would rather use the space to grow something else. If you do grow them try and get well started plants instead of starting from seed.

almost forgot- anyone see the brussel sprout x kale cross that johnnys has? They look interesting....

I was not planning on doing any veggie garden this year...2 young kids ought to keep me plenty busy! But my BIL bought me a whole bunch of veggie seeds...squash, cucs, eggplant and brussel sprouts. Also a bunch of flowering perrenials.