Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Eggsperiments

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Get IT?!?  Thats funny right there

A brisket done at 350 with a setup in the egg I have never used before.

The grid is raised up and there is a heat deflector.  But it isn't like the plate setter.  The plate setter covers up almost all of the hole under the grid, but this deflector is much smaller.  I want to see if I get more heat up to the meat as well as more moving air.

woo ring.JPG

Never done a brisket at high temp in the egg.

Never marinated a brisket either, so I did all that stuff

Gonna use the guru cause I will be in and out some today.

got it, somehow I knew this was a BGE post from the title (or some funky southern dish I can't understand)

anyway, looks interesting.

following the bbq boards, seems more and more of the big names, like mixon, are cooking hot and fast and still winning.

I saw a Pitmaster where he bragged he cooks his in 4 hours and gets to sleep.

150, into the foil it goes with  a splash of beef broth.  The marinade is making a strange color, its like a rust tone.

Well the majority of the brisket will have to go to the Rye NH PD.  They busted me

Last night there were cops and firemen a few doors down blocking the road, I peeked out but coyuldn't tell what it was.  Turns out a drunk ran off the road and took the Hayley's ENTIRE front porch off the house.  Driver is expected to assume room temperature soon.

Now this is a big, BIG deal in Rye.  They have spent pretty much all day at the scene conducting an "investigation."  Almost the entire force is out there (5), and the entire fleet of patrol cars (#1 and #2.  They have a tank, but thats for parades and such).  Occifer Scottt caught a whiff and marched into my yard, clipboard in hand.  I was interrogated harshly about the meat, the cooking method, and even the Big green Egg.  I demanded to have a chef present for questioning, but he would have nothing of it.  The cops in this town rule the mean streets with an iron fist I tell you.

Cop (sargent no less) busted me one time for trying to get back into the court house for jury duty with a shopping bag full of dried chilies from the bodega across the street. I got off only after giving up the recipe. He was making chili for a PBA gathering that weekend it seems.

So two hours open and around 90 minutes in foil to get up to 190 ish.  The meat seems properly done, i have a couple cups of broth that i normally never have.

Between the foil and the marinade, the color of the meat is damn near unappealing.  its this pale rust red.   think its yummy stuff, but the Stubbs beef marinade is OUT in the future.

Shhh.  Its resting.  I have photos to share later.

Ohhhh!  Emmmmm!  Geeeee!  There is an uplink truck parked up the street, WMUR is going to do a live from the scene of the accident tonite (cue the banjos).

Well it was a good one, but I still have to tweek.  Did the marinade account for that odd color (camera doesn't show it-it is really weird!), I think it did.  Also that deep coating of liquid wouldn't let it brown a little more.  Flavor and tenderness otherwise was very good.

One more try with no more marinade just rub.  pork does very well at high temps, so I might have it nailed.

Cops get the flat, FD gets the rest of the point, they will know what to do with it.  Cops will just cut the flat up and gnaw at it like a dobermans.

Success. 

brisket.JPG

Looks good from here. Isn't that just the color of the smoke ring around the edge?

I just did a few racks of baby backs on the egg for the big game, added some cherry chips for some fruity smoke. There was nothing left except a pile of shiny bones so I will assume that they were good. Low and slow with a plate setter around 275 for about 3 hours, spray with apple juice a few times like every every 30 mins after the first hour.

Oh no, the smoke ring color was right.  The exterior was weird, and the cheesy Iphone cam didn't capture the weirdness.

No more marinade I say.  Inject, maybe.

so it cooks like a braise with good smoke flavor, but not much in the way of bark. Gotta be a lot better than dried out brisket with bark I just made

so you can put the point back in to make burned ends and serve with the flat to get the best of both worlds.

I am still getting over the idea of adding beef broth to a piece of meat. how did brisket end up needing beef flavor as an additive? Not sure. but it's the way to go apparently.

stubbs marinade

nothing unusual about the color- probably all that paprika in the marinade and rub not hidden by a bark

Water, Organic Tamari Sauce (Water, Organic Whole Soybeans, Salt), Distilled Vinegar, Seasoning Blend [salt, *Granulated Garlic, Crushed Red Pepper, *Granulated Onion, Spices, Whole Yellow Mustard Seeds, Natural Flavors (Corn Syrup Solids, Lime Juice, Lime Oil), Paprika], Sugar, Apple Juice Concentrate, Salt, Spices, Contains Less than 0.5% of: Ground Ginger (Ginger, Water, Phosphoric Acid, Xanthan Gum), *Onion, *Grapefruit Peel, *Tangerine Peel, Citric Acid, Yeast Extract, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Corn Syrup, Tamarind, Natural Flavors (contains Torula Yeast), Glucose.

*Dried