Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lichum

The Welfare State Sends A Pernicious Message: Someone Else Will Do it

Rate this topic

201 posts in this topic

Russ Kent would agree with the thread's title; it's one of my signature lines.

What are your thoughts about the ever enlarging custodial state?

Mansfield News Journal February 4, 2012

Written by

Russ Kent

News Journal

Filed Under

Opinion

Columnists - Opinion

It's not my job to feed your children

Last week I spent too much time newsroom time reading about hungry students.

Which made me wonder.

What happened to responsible parenting?

A friend's son has a bumper sticker that reads "If you can't feed them, don't breed them."

A noble sentiment, indeed.

We started with reduced-price lunches for elementary school students. Now we have free lunches.

We added reduced-priced breakfasts. Now we have free breakfasts.

In some schools, every student qualifies for a free breakfast. Most qualify for free lunches.

Every student and every family in a school?

You're kidding me, right?

It's gotten out of hand.

I know there are hungry children. But you'll never get me to believe that some of these families are gaming the system. Or that some of these families, with a little bit of effort, can't afford to feed their own kids.

Our government must stop enabling parents and caregivers who won't feed their children.

I'm not talking about parents who can't.

I'm talking about parents who don't.

I'm talking about parents with higher priorities than children. Priorities like new cars, cellphones, game systems, wireless laptop computers and that extra 30 minutes of sleep.

In recent years we added government programs to feed kids in the summer. But apparently, we're not feeding enough kids on their break.

That's the news article I read last week that set me off.

The first paragraph of that story read: "Ohio education and food program officials want to increase the number of children in low-income areas who participate in a program that offers them free breakfasts or lunches during the summer, when they're not getting meals at school."

You're kidding me, right?

Isn't it time we address the real problem?

Hungry children are a symptom of a problem making this country less great that it once was.

The root of the problem is a meddling government. A government that has created a culture of entitlement that allows too many people a free ride.

Don't want to take the time or make the effort to feed your children? No problem! The government will just levy another tax on the rest of us and we can feed them for you.

That's not the solution.

There are a lot of wonderful nonprofits and charities doing their best to feed children. But they are overwhelmed.

Why?

Because there are no consequences for parents who won't feed their children.

It's not my job as a American taxpayer to feed every child.

You gave birth to your children. You feed them!

I know, I sound like an uncaring SOB.

I'm not. I'm just tired of seeing kids -- whose parents are wearing $150 tennis shoes and talking on iPhones -- standing in line daily for their free breakfast and lunch.

Government-sponsored enabling is so bad I fear we'll never be able to turn back the pages.

What happened to personal pride?

What happened to sacrifice?

I'm paying off some medical bills. In order to do that, I've canceled a landline and cut my cable/Internet bill in half. I'm using generic cat litter, feeding Jack and Jill dry food instead of the pouch food they really enjoy. I'm using generic laundry detergent, and dishwashing liquid that contains no emollients for my dry hands. I'm eating a lot less Tubby's pizza than I would like. I'm wearing sweaters purchased on sale at Penney's more than three years ago. I'm wearing tennis shoes from Walmart. My car has almost 200,000 miles on it and no gas cap door.

But that's what I have to do to make ends meet.

People make sacrifices all the time -- or, they used to.

Purchases were put off. Clothing was worn a little longer. People actually wore pants mended with patches, or needle and thread.

Cancel a cellphone or two if you must. Stop paying for the ability to text or get Internet service in your vehicle. Stop buying game systems and DVDs. How about a pair of nice Dr. Scholl's instead of the newest Nikes?

There are millions of ways to cut back.

But the government keeps enabling, and our culture of entitlement grows.

It's not a hard concept.

If parents don't have to feed their kids, they won't. They can spend that money elsewhere, and use the 30 minutes it would have taken to fix a $1 can of soup to run to a fast food restaurant.

Maybe that's our government's plan, to pay for everything for everybody.

We've not reached that point yet. But we are on our way.

I'm not completely heartless.

I realize some kids, some families, really need help.

I understand that. It's why I believe in handups.

But I don't believe in handouts that last a lifetime. And I don't believe in handouts that allow parents to shirk their own responsibilities.

I see too much of that.

The federal government must quit enabling irresponsible parents.

Just send them to school hungry. Someone will feed them.

And the government will tax you and me to pay for it.

There are a lot of people taking advantage of a government program that was meant to feed the truly needy.

There are a lot of families who could do more with less.

In the other constitution threads, other countries (more "modern" that we are) have constitutions that (somehow) declare a "right to food".

I have to ask... who provides that right?

Hint... it's not a right. A right is something we can all exercise. What if we *all* decide to sit on our collective butts and demand our right to food... where does the food come from?

Rights are things we can do for ourselves and no government can inhibit. Rights are NOT something we can demand from others.

I guess "modern" constitution writers are just way smarter than I am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamlet View Post

What if we *all* decide to sit on our collective butts and demand our right to food... where does the food come from?

communism won't work

but neither will unrestrained Capitalism,

success lies in the middle.

you can make sure that EVERYONE will have bear minimums met,

but most people aren't satisfied with bare minimums.

most of us here would rather work and have nice houses,

then not work and raise a family in a slum.

no?

In the other constitution threads, other countries (more "modern" that we are) have constitutions that (somehow) declare a "right to food".

I have to ask... who provides that right?

Hint... it's not a right. A right is something we can all exercise. What if we *all* decide to sit on our collective butts and demand our right to food... where does the food come from?

Rights are things we can do for ourselves and no government can inhibit. Rights are NOT something we can demand from others.

I guess "modern" constitution writers are just way smarter than I am.

we are inthe prioces now of making healthcare a RIGHT............

People will game anything. Its human nature. There is not one thing that exists today that doesnt have corruption.

So that alone cant be the reason to end something. Its about the severity of the corruption.

Social programs will always have a place in America. We just need to find a way to minimize the corruption.

Problem is the 2 current parties get their palms greased

doesnt matter what statistical arguments you make... it cant be a right.

No right can be something demanded from another.

Sure it can. I demand you give up some of your money for national defense.

Once that door is open then the gray area of interpretation can go wild.

Sure it can. I demand you give up some of your money for national defense.

Once that door is open then the gray area of interpretation can go wild.

I'm not constitutional scholar and hardly paid attention in Social Studies, but as far as I know, a national defense isn't enumerated in the bill of rights.

Isn't the power to tax in the constitution, as well as the requirement for the government to provide a national defense?

I'm not constitutional scholar and hardly paid attention in Social Studies, but as far as I know, a national defense isn't enumerated in the bill of rights.

Isn't the power to tax in the constitution, as well as the requirement for the government to provide a national defense?

Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness

National Defense is key to liberty

Quote:

National Defense is key to liberty

If you believe that them you do not undersatnd the meaning of the word as it applies in the Declaration or Constitution, nor do understand your own human nature.

here ya go....what the feds are allowed to, section 8 of the US Constitution.

Section. 8. The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; — And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

If you believe that them you do not undersatnd the meaning of the word as it applies in the Declaration or Constitution, nor do understand your own human nature.

Maybe, but I dont know how I can have liberty if we can tdefend ourselves from others taking it away