Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RAW379

Shock Leader?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Last time I was pier fishing at Choptank, my 50# braid got snapped by something. From what I've been reading online, it probably wasn't a monster fish, but just the natural weakness braid has for absorbing shock.  Also I was going to try a Fish Finder Rig, but I was worried that my braid would cut through the plastic clips. I think I can solve both of my problems by adding a shock leader onto my line.  I see most of them are labeled "minimal stretch"... which I'm assuming is bad for a shock leader. How can you tell if a spool of mono has high shock strength? I found one or two that specifically refer to "high shock strength", but is there any way to compare them? Is there any reason to buy the bags labeled "leaders" instead of a spool of the same line? Thanks for any help.

I use 50lb Berkley Big Game for all my shock leaders. If I use 10+ ounces I'll move to 60lb. just buy a 1/4lb spool of 50lb Berkley or Suffix and you'll be good. Just tie the correct knots

Anything in 50# should be good, Suffix and Big Game are definetly good. Also a word of advice, loose those plastic sliders. On a hard cast they will break. Just buy a decent snap swivel and use those. I use the ones rated to 150#.

Won't those damage the line though? I've never tried them or the plastic ones, ordered a pack on amazon for like 5 bucks and figured I'd try it out. I have some 150 lb snap swivels already, so I guess I'll switch over if they start breaking on me

Okay thanks, picked up a 50 lb of Suffix mono. Thanks for the advice!

No Problem..

I've never had a problem with my line being damaged, but I generally dont have a rig last more than 10 casts due to sharks and blues.

Won't those damage the line though? I've never tried them or the plastic ones, ordered a pack on amazon for like 5 bucks and figured I'd try it out. I have some 150 lb snap swivels already, so I guess I'll switch over if they start breaking on me

No they wont, I have been using snap swivels for years, the plastic ones will break (not from personal knowledge because I dont use them) but the snap swivels just slide up and down the line.

oh ok cool. Does it need glass beads on either side of it as well?

Some people put one below and one above, as a rule I don't put one below and if in a crowd or on a pier I put one above as that will keep your weight from sliding above the shock knot while fighting a fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAW379 View Post

Last time I was pier fishing at Choptank, my 50# braid got snapped by something. From what I've been reading online, it probably wasn't a monster fish, but just the natural weakness braid has for absorbing shock.  Also I was going to try a Fish Finder Rig, but I was worried that my braid would cut through the plastic clips. I think I can solve both of my problems by adding a shock leader onto my line.  I see most of them are labeled "minimal stretch"... which I'm assuming is bad for a shock leader. How can you tell if a spool of mono has high shock strength? I found one or two that specifically refer to "high shock strength", but is there any way to compare them? Is there any reason to buy the bags labeled "leaders" instead of a spool of the same line? Thanks for any help.

Braid is very not very abrasion resistant.  It could be that you rubbed on a rock or some other structure and broke off.  to aleviate this I always use a mono or fluoro "leader".  Braid is great in that the minimal stretch helps you detect the subtle bites.  Depending on the situation and type of fishing I'm doing my "leader" will be anywhere from 3 -5 feet long.  This really helps with the abrasion issue as I now have 30 - 50lb mono/fluoro on the business end.  it also helps when landing a fish, easier to grab.  I use a shorter leader when working jigs, lures, swimmers, or any light stuff with braided line.  I really like the Sebile Knot, super slim for going through the guides with a high knot strength. 

when you use the term "Shock Leader", I generally associate this with heaving 6 - 10oz of lead and bait.  In doing this you'll definitely want a "leader" which ranges anywhere from 15 - 20ft and is wrapped around your spool with 5 -6 turns.  When you load a cast with 8nbait you put a tremendous amount of force on the line.  Breaking off during this cast could be very dangerous hence the "Shock Leader" with 50 - 80lb test mono/fluoro. Since braid has zero stretch the breakoff could be much greater. The wraps around your spool along with the stretch of the mono/fluoro with minimize/prevent the lead and bait from breaking off.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the input! I just read the term "shock leader" online where it described exactly what you pointed out, it helps when casting. But they also mentioned that it will absorb the shock from a fighting fish as well. But you bring up a good point, I'm not throwing that much weight out there, so I probably won't need the 20 feet of mono that they recommended. Maintaining a 5 foot leader would certainly be cheaper heh.