Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baxter47

Van Staal VS200, spool position

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a VS200. When I went to have it spooled at a local tackle shop this weekend, the guy there told me he thinks I am missing a spacer/shim. He says it looks like a cut out washer and is packed into the reel handle threads. With the proper shimming, he claims that every time the reel handle is at the 6 o'clock position the spool should be fully extended for optimal casting. Was wondering if there is truth to this....?

When I had my 150 that was true handle at the 6oclock the spool would be at its highest point. Mine never had a shim that I knew of. What position is ur handle in when the spool tops out. Pics help

i think its ur handle. figure if it was on the opposite side where the set screw is it would be ok id call vs or get in touch with craig and talk to them they might send u another handle. u may want to try some washers to see if that helps, but it just doesnt seem right

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxter47 View Post

I recently purchased a VS200. When I went to have it spooled at a local tackle shop this weekend, the guy there told me he thinks I am missing a spacer/shim. He says it looks like a cut out washer and is packed into the reel handle threads. With the proper shimming, he claims that every time the reel handle is at the 6 o'clock position the spool should be fully extended for optimal casting. Was wondering if there is truth to this....?

VS200?!? Victoria's Secret 200 ?!?naughty.gif

The answer is yes. Van Staal uses shims to time the handle with the spool position. Some reels need them and some do not. The best thing to do is call them. They can explain it to you and also send you some shims. Not sure what the shims will cost. Alot of people do not know about the shims and when they take their handle off, if their reel has them, the shims are lost. Hope this helps.

I just received a new VS200 this past week and have the same issue. I called the store I purchased the reel from and they told me to contact VS customer service. I called and left a message and I have yet to hear back from them. Will I have to pay for these shims and why do some require them when others don't? I don't exactly know what the shims look like but I do know that this is the way my reel came brand new in box. When the handle is at the 12 o' clock position, the spool is fully extended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reel em in View Post

Just checked my VS150 and at 6 o'clock the spool is extended all the way 

That's how I would like my reel to be, spool fully extended at 6 o' clock for casting purposes. This is the first Van Staal I've used that is the opposite.