Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfflyfish4stripers

On the Water Magazine Metal lip article

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

what a great read about the metal lips swimmers,packed information and well explain,good job Steve McKenna,gave big props to builders and to know that they are members here in SOL makes it even better.

Congrats to the builders here From SOL that showed up in the article,and those who are with us in spirit.

Dave

Yes it's a fine write up. Google: Plugology and that write up is even more intensive. OTW's article gives props to some popular makers and members here and builders who are no longer with us. But it's also excluded some fine SOL makers as well....Read and see. Glad Kevin was not passed over for his fine work but some were definitely excluded.

Theres a helluva a lot of good plug builders here and I am sure Steve mentioned the ones HE PREFERS which is the point of his article, to give his point of view. By no mneans do I think he excluded some fine plug builders on purpose. Yes it was an amazing article to say the least. I learned some valuable info from that article and some tips and tricks of the trade.

I was approached once about the possibility of writting an artical about a small garage (hobby) plug building set up. They do interviews and accept pictures. Everything is ready to go when the editor makes the final decision. Some guys make it and some don't. I didn't!

As far as including/excluding builders I know it happens based on the author. None are excluded purposly. There is only so much room in the artical.

It was a great read... I think the author did a real nice job explaining the subject. maybe they'll do another type of plug soon and more builders will get mentioned.

I dropped my loooong running subscription to OTW when they burned some extremely sensitive RI locations that are always in battle with access. They went so far as to draw a diagram of the area, which rocks to stand on and where to cast...that's not instruction. And rather than admitting they made an error without ill intent they got arrogant about the whole thing. I think Gene and Steve are nice folks who made a serious mistake and have yet to own up to it. Thus they sell me no mags until they do.

I dropped my loooong running subscription to OTW when they burned some extremely sensitive RI locations that are always in battle with access. They went so far as to draw a diagram of the area, which rocks to stand on and where to cast...that's not instruction. And rather than admitting they made an error without ill intent they got arrogant about the whole thing. I think Gene and Steve are nice folks who made a serious mistake and have yet to own up to it. Thus they sell me no mags until they do.

you absolutely right on that H'Islander,should of mentioned counties instead directing traffic towards those spots.but we know there's no fish there anyways so they'll get the skunk.

on the other hand they're based on proffessional experience in the areas.is like when we see the full breakdown about Montauk with maps and every square inch spotted to detail and the guys over there may see it the same way as us here.but lets take it for what it is.they just trying to help everyone to be a better fisherman,i guess.

what a great read about the metal lips swimmers,packed information and well explain,good job Steve McKenna,gave big props to builders and to know that they are members here in SOL makes it even better.

Congrats to the builders here From SOL that showed up in the article,and those who are with us in spirit.

Dave

Which issue does this articvle appear in? I bought an issue last weekend but haven't looked through it yet.

The artical was HIS opinion of how certain plugs should work and where they should and shouldn't be used. I feel bad for anyone that reads it and takes it to be gospel , especially the section on danny plugs, I totally disagree with what he says and I have talked with multiple builder's that feel the same way....but again , the artical is HIS opinion, keep that in mind. It was great to see some of "our" guys (builder's) in print.

johnny

The artical was HIS opinion of how certain plugs should work and where they should and shouldn't be used. I feel bad for anyone that reads it and takes it to be gospel , especially the section on danny plugs, I totally disagree with what he says and I have talked with multiple builder's that feel the same way....but again , the artical is HIS opinion, keep that in mind. It was great to see some of "our" guys (builder's) in print.

johnny

In my opinion,the information he is teaching in this article worth a lifetime of practicing and he is braking it down to the T,just like (Plugology is the university of plugs), many folks out there buy certain plugs and they don't even know how to use them correctly.theres when these reads are so worth the time to read and yes ,to respect at least the intention of the author.i agree with you,his statement may not be the holy grail of dannies,pikes etc...but anyone who already knows the information disregard it then,and for those who read about it for the first time,is an absolute treasure of information.