Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chunk

How Many Flys Can You Tie In One Sitting

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I usually limit myself to 2-3 hours at a time.

Depending on the complexity of the pattern could be 6 - 30 max.

Of course trying a new pattern takes longer until I get in a rhythm.

Used to go 5-6 hours at a shot, but the eyes get tired quicker these days.

It depends. How long is a sitting? What is the pattern?

Let's figure an hour. For me (and I am a slow tier) that means one big nine feather flawing. Or a bajillion Estaz Eggs.

:-)

Steve

It certainly does matter what the pattern is & how many materials are involved. Unless I'm playing around with a new material, or a new pattern, I rarely tie complete flies all at once. I tied commercially for many years, and got into the habit of "production" tying. I tie in steps, with only one or two materials at a time. For example, if I'm tying 2 dozen white Deceivers, I'll tie on just tails & perhaps the body material, then once I've completed all in that group, I'll move on & add the hair & some flash. Then finish all the heads at once. It's a bit monotonous, but is the only way I can tie a bunch in short time. Used to be able to tie a couple of dozen Deceivers in an hour, but don't have the time now to really sit down & tie like that. So, I guess I'll tie maybe 4-12 of a single pattern at one time now, in about an hour and don't worry about how long it actually takes. :)