Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpearoFI

Airflow Intermediate Line

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have been using the cold saltwater intermediate (Ridge and non ridge) for a number of years. Never had a problem with any of them. Great line. The 40+ I did not like at all.

Foul hook I agree with you on the blue ridge and smooth lines. I liked the 40+ fishing for redfish and snook in east central FL. it stiffens up when exposed to cold saltwater.

Airflow is a strange company. sometimes they produce great lines at others well not so great . Ok I have been fishing their blue I line in 9 and 10wts and it is the best line I have come across so far. I can't cast em all. LOL. I have fished mine for 3 years. I think it may have been withdrawn though. Have they got a new Blue I line out? Lines can be very subjective. Whilst I like my Airflow line and think I do better with it than my old brown Orvis Advantage I don't. .In coloured I lines you can't go too far wrong in selecting any of the major brands in cold water designted format. Long belly if you are seeking a bit more distance.

Mike

The AirFlo Cold Saltwater Intermediate 9 WT has been the best line I've ever used. I fish Cape Cod. Tangles are minimal compared to other lines. After about a year and a half the line did crack however.

Sometimes you have to test stuff yourself. If you get a year to 18 months for a well used line that is exceptable to me balanced against great performance. A line that lasts 5 years but is not a great performer may mean fewer fish. You have to way this kind of stuff up. How many times will you fish in a year. If say it is 20 then that Airflow Line is going to see you through quite a long time. Lines I see as consumables.

Mike

This new WF10 intermediate has 12m = 39.4ft total head length which weights 25,5g = 395gr. Rear and front tapers are both about 8ft and head has only noticeable more weight on the rear half of the head (F=49% R=51%)

30ft weights 305gr so it is exactly 10.5wt line.

Very very low stretch!!! I did test cast it in 30 Celsius (86F) and coating did not soften. Both ends are looped and no weld connection between head and RL. Bcause of long tapers it behaves smoothly. Ridges are totally different from previous models and coating feels smooth in my fingers and I needed a magnifying glass to see the ridges.

Crunch,

Thanks for the tech details. Sounds like my kind of line. This is a line that should fly for a good caster. I must check mine to see if dimensionally it is the same or similar.

I don't like all of Airflows lines but they do sell some excellent ones and this is one of them.

Mike

I like Airflo although two lines past which had that welded connection went bad too fast. But I don't like they put misleading weight class numbers to lines which are not standard.

Crunch,

Funny you should say that. I had suspiciouns about a nymph line I got from them and it seemed a bit heavy. I am going to have to buy some accurate digital scales. This line has no weld so will be ok.

Mike