Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kburd

first trip of the spring?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi all

My good freind and I are getting more serious about our surf fishing this year and are hoping to make a couple runs to the delaware shore and possible some other delmarva areas during the spring summer and fall.  We are anxious to get things going!  We will probably explore the delaware seashore state park first as I have heard it is somewhat similar to fishing the obx and that is how we are geared up. 

My question is does anyone have an idea when the spring fishing for stripers might pick up this year.  The winter has been much warmer than the previous several years so I am thinking that things will start happening sooner than usual.  Which from my research on this forum has seemed to be mid april to first of June for pretty good striper fishing in the spring from the surf.  Any advice or direction on where to look to study up to try and pick a good weekend to make a run from our south central PA to the shore?

Thanks in advance for anyone who could give some info.

Late April to Early June is the best time for trophy Striped Bass from the DelMarVa surf...

Although some years have been earlier and/or later to start, right now the current warm winter is not necessarily a predictor to an early start...there are still 6 weeks before the vernal equinox (March 20 this year)...so plenty of time for things to change to a more normal weather pattern.

There also are other factors that come into play as to when Striped Bass will enter and leave the Chesapeake Bay in the springtime. Anyway, early to mid-March is the time period to look at...if water temps are warmer then usual the Bass might enter tributaries early and accordingly come up the DelMarVa coast early...

Poppy

thanks poppy  you are a wealth of knowledge on here.  I was hoping to hear something like that so we can get a plan together.  Guess I better invest in some cold water/weather surf gear as most of our previous fishing has been done in warm water times. 

any suggestions on bibs/ waders for a big guys.  We are both 6-3 to 6-4 and in the 300 plus weight range  pig2.gif