Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bac0701

tube or feather tail on metals

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

just curious is tube or dressing on tins something of preference or is there a profile of bait each fills? cabin fever is kicking in now that ive had surgery on my wrist and have my shoulder beiing done yet again in 2 weeks :mad:

Hey Bac...hope the surgery is healing well...

The tubes do catch, but they hurt casting distance. Some hackle, turf of long bucktail or synthetic will help you with some added distance. the added splash of color and ellongated profile will help the catch at times.

I almost always put bucktail on Ava jigs, with tin squids I like feathers a little better, although feathers don't seem to hold up as well in my surf bag. There is plenty of room to experiment with both the length and amount of bucktail you add to the hook.

The classic Ava Eel is the only tin I carry that I exclusively use a tube on. Its classic shape and performance just tells you to not to mess with what works. Same goes with my Charlie Graves. I would never put a tube on one. Bucktail on those are the only way to go. Don't confuse the Ava Eel with the jigs pictured above. Two different tins.

Long skinny tubes close to twice the length of the tine work very well for me. I found the finer diameter tubes don't cut down the cast too much. Great night time producer as well.

I have used tubes, a single hook with bucktail and I have even used pork rinds and 4" shad bodies with a single hook through them. I like the single hook bucktail on tin squids and I just switch up on Hopkins, Krocs and Kastmasters if and when I use 'em. smile.gif

The classic Ava Eel is the only tin I carry that I exclusively use a tube on. Its classic shape and performance just tells you to not to mess with what works. Same goes with my Charlie Graves. I would never put a tube on one. Bucktail on those are the only way to go. Don't confuse the Ava Eel with the jigs pictured above. Two different tins.

Can you post a pic of the Ava Eel please?

I mix it up depending on the conditions and bait present. Those tin and tube combos are great when the sand eels are around. Kastmasters- single hook with bucktail for a bigger profile bait , then the charlie Graves and Pt Judes- with feathers or bucktail....

Can you post a pic of the Ava Eel please?

I wish I could but I can't using a iPhone 3G. If you send me your email or # I can send a pic that way. I definitely have some Ava eels in my bag.

I like to cast them NAKED ;) I figured more time and distance in the water to cover. You want them to shake and dance a little then change up on the retreive and bounce that rod tip every once in awhile. Hey you never know. Man that cabin fever is truly contagious hope you get well soon :D