Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ

Continuing the Topic of 9mm Handguns...

Rate this topic

324 posts in this topic

I didn't want to get the other thread derailed so decided to start a new one. Most definitely prefer a USA made gun, might consider German made, and in 9mm.

One of the guns on the top of my list is the S&W M&P 9c for both CCW and range use. Fits my hands well as any smaller would be hard to control. Nice sights. And like that is comes with a 1911 style manual safety.

Also looked at an FNP 9mm. While it's a full size versus a compact it does feel good in the hands. But not sure with all the comments I have read about the high bore axis.

H&K USP is out of my price range. Looking more towards $500, give or take.

Springfield xD shot nice when I tried one several years ago. But it's made in Croatia.

Shot a Sig ??? years ago and just didn't care for the overall feel.

Not a fan of Glocks.

So, my question to the wise is what else should I be considering?

If you don't mind a non-polymer frame, it's hard to beat the reliability of the old work horse; the original Browning Hi-Power. FWW swears the Glock 17 to be the best handgun in 9mm. I checked one out at the gun store Saturday, and it just didn't feel right in my hands. Don't let the country of origin sway you from the Springfield XD, it is a fine handgun, and a real credit to the Croats. :clap:

I didn't want to get the other thread derailed so decided to start a new one. Most definitely prefer a USA made gun, might consider German made, and in 9mm.

One of the guns on the top of my list is the S&W M&P 9c for both CCW and range use. Fits my hands well as any smaller would be hard to control. Nice sights. And like that is comes with a 1911 style manual safety.

Also looked at an FNP 9mm. While it's a full size versus a compact it does feel good in the hands. But not sure with all the comments I have read about the high bore axis.

Springfield xD shot nice when I tried one several years ago. But it's made in Croatia.

Not a fan of Glocks.

You may like the feel of a CZ.

They make steel pistols and polymer pistols.

Beretta also makes steel pistols and polymer pistols.

I'd look at the Beretta Px4 Storm pistols. The Px4 has a rotating barrel design that conduces to accuracy. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police carry the 9mm Px4.

I think the Px4 is made in USA.

Check out the Ruger SR9 too.

Read up on the Steyr 9mms; their grip ergonomics are fabulous.

Check out the Taurus 9mms.

Not a fan of Glocks.

Does it have to be 9mm? The new Walther PPKS's are now made by S&W in Houghton, Maine. Small enough to carry in your pocket, big enough to ruin an ******** day. Mine is stainless steel and cost me ~$350 used, new ones were ~ $100 more when I bought it.

You may like the feel of a CZ.

They make steel pistols and polymer pistols.

Beretta also makes steel pistols and polymer pistols.

I'd look at the Beretta Px4 Storm pistols. The Px4 has a rotating barrel design that conduces to accuracy. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police carry the 9mm Px4.

I think the Px4 is made in USA.

Check out the Ruger SR9 too.

Read up on the Steyr 9mms; their grip ergonomics are fabulous.

Check out the Taurus 9mms.

+! for CZ P01

Beretta PX4 Storm is made in Italy. I recommend the PX4 Storm in full-size only .

The rotating barrel is a real cool feature. I can't equate this to reducing muzzle-rise, but it is a noticeable short, sharp torque rather than the typical polymer gun experience.

You don't drift off point of aim.

Sights are great too.

I'm an HK guy - I love my USP 40, but after shooting the PX4 in .40 I'm a believer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBow View Post

I think you'll like S&W's M&P models just fine.

Re-think that.

Because S&W has been cranking up the volume on the 9mm M&P models (LE contracts), the quality control has gone to total $hit.

mad.gif Out of the box, the triggers are gritty.

mad.gif The melonite finish was incorrectly applied on certain batches of slides, resulting in rust with a little sprinkling of water.

mad.gif Accuracy at longer ranges is piss-poor because of premature barrel lockup.  The Glock 17 will outshoot this gun at 15-20 yards.  Try it.

The first deficiency can be remedied by an aftermarket sear (Apex Tactical).

The second problem means you'll have to send it back to the factory.

The third problem requires a third party barrel which needs to be custom fitted (Bar Sto, Apex Tactical).  S&W hasn't addressed this problem.

So you're spending several hundred dollars to fix a gun so that it can shoot like a Glock 17.  mad.gif

All this is based on my personal (and admittedly very demanding) experience.

Avoid.

+! for CZ P01

Beretta PX4 Storm is made in Italy. I recommend the PX4 Storm in full-size only .

The rotating barrel is a real cool feature. I can't equate this to reducing muzzle-rise, but it is a noticeable short, sharp torque rather than the typical polymer gun experience.

You don't drift off point of aim.

Sights are great too.

I'm an HK guy - I love my USP 40, but after shooting the PX4 in .40 I'm a believer.

:clap: The 9mm Px4 Storm is now available w/ stainless steel slide. :clap:

9mm isn't a "set in stone" requirement. Just more of a convenience thing as the ammo prices are better than .40 S&W and .380 ACP.

CZ: I know nothing about these. Will have to do some reading.

Beretta Px4: This looks interesting. Is it hammer fired and the first pull a DA or manual cocking? Has the manual safety in the rear I would like to have.

Ruger SR9: The early batches were plagued by quality issues with the barrels. Not sure if this is/was fixed. And not a fan of the trigger design.

Walther PPK: Might be a little smaller than I wanted to have but will take a look.

S&W M&P: I knew about the trigger needing some TLC and accepted such for a gun around $500. The other issues FWW mentioned are of concern.

9mm isn't a "set in stone" requirement. Just more of a convenience thing as the ammo prices are better than .40 S&W and .380 ACP.

Walther PPK: Might be a little smaller than I wanted to have but will take a look.

Definately take a look. I handled most of the others before I bought the Walther. Everything just felt cheaply made to me and looked cheap. The Walther is just the opposite, nothing cheap about it. It is a solid, well built pistol. Compare them all and you'll see what I mean. And it's made in America. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyGrowler View Post

Beretta PX4 Storm is made in Italy.

The ones I've handled - the mags don't drop free.

Try this at the gun store before you buy it.  If it doesn't drop free, it bothers wee wee. 

CZ: I know nothing about these. Will have to do some reading.

Beretta Px4: This looks interesting. Is it hammer fired and the first pull a DA or manual cocking? Has the manual safety in the rear I would like to have.

Ruger SR9: The early batches were plagued by quality issues with the barrels. Not sure if this is/was fixed. And not a fan of the trigger design.

S&W M&P: I knew about the trigger needing some TLC and accepted such for a gun around $500. The other issues FWW mentioned are of concern.

The Px4 model F shoots first shot DA and the rest SA.

Can you manually cock the model F hammer w/ the thumb and shoot the pistol SA for the first shot? I think so.

The Px4 model G is DAO. ( I think.)

I don't CCW.

If I were to carry, I would not carry a .380 pistol; 9mm would be the minimum.