Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
windknot7979

stripers in february?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I always wondered,

Most resident bass must have some food source to stay around, or are they partially injured, or lazy too?

I don't think they can find any food close to the shore now though? But the water is colder in deeper water. So do they go for warmer water to "hybernate" or in a place that has some food too?

I always wondered,

Most resident bass must have some food source to stay around, or are they partially injured, or lazy too?

I don't think they can find any food close to the shore now though? But the water is colder in deeper water. So do they go for warmer water to "hybernate" or in a place that has some food too?

Places that hold warm water will have a food source as well. ;)

I remember a warm winter when the fish were offshore in the ny bight feeding on the macks.This could be the same thing happening now there are a lot of macks out there.;)

That could be true, Guess people who have a boat would only know

Feeding on a good run of Macks and Herring. I don't know if these are resident fish as they might not have had a reason to head further South as the temps stayed warm and there's a food supply. Jersey is experiencing the same thing.

One SS boat reported an hour or so of good catch and release fishing over the weekend so it's more then a fish here and there.

Too bad its gonna be extremely cold this weekend, might slow down the activity a little bit, otherwise I was actually thinking about getting out and hitting a jetty or two and trying to spot some action.

I spoke with a very knowledgable surfcaster about the bass being here still, and boats in our area are still catching bass, he told me that's real bad because those fish aren't going to spawn, he says there should be no fish at all being caught now, I asked him about the water temperature thing and bait around keeping them here he says that's nonsense, They have built in instinct to migrate. There's a vital reason why they migrate, to spawn. I really hope that's not the case that they won't spawn, that would be real bad!!!

I spoke with a very knowledgable surfcaster about the bass being here still, and boats in our area are still catching bass, he told me that's real bad because those fish aren't going to spawn, he says there should be no fish at all being caught now, I asked him about the water temperature thing and bait around keeping them here he says that's nonsense, They have built in instinct to migrate. There's a vital reason why they migrate, to spawn. I really hope that's not the case that they won't spawn, that would be real bad!!!

Some cows go 2 years without spawning and some bass are resident bass FYI.