Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor VI vs. Lamson Konic 4

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

The last few years I have been using an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor V, when I put a line like a 10 wt OBS on it there is not much room between the fram and line when its all back on the reel. So I decided to buy a bigger reel.

The 10 wt reel thread had me interested in several reels, but I need to keep the spending to a minimum.

I looked into the Orvis BLA VI which they are selling at a reduced price as it is discontinued. SO I ordered one. It weighs 9 oz, which is only slightly heavier than the V at 8.3 oz. The drag is twice the size. I also like Orvis because they have been around and will likely be around for a long long time. It is also machined .

Now I'm not sure I should keep it. The drag is not sealed. And maybe the reel is too heavy, but it's the same weight as many of the highly regarded reels.

The Lamson Konic was the other reel I considered, it seems to be a sealed drag and weigh less than the BLA VI, but it is made of pressure cast material, not machined. Also not as large a capacity as the BLA VI.

Should I just keep using the Orvis Mid Arbor V and use regular braid as a backing so I can have more room for line?

I thinks I need a larger capacity reel because I picked up a TH rod ( well not a true TH rod, but a TICRX conversion kit and 7wt and 8 wt TICRX) that is going to need either an 11 or 12 wt Rio Outbound on it and I don't think there is anyway to get those lines on my BMA V.

My BLA VI weights 10.6oz.

Capacity is 252cc so it is not too heavy for its capacity and brake is quite strong as well. It takes 11/12 mid belly Spey line and enough backing. IMO it is unnecessary big and heavy for 11ft TH.

My BLA VI weights 10.6oz.

Capacity is 252cc so it is not too heavy for its capacity and brake is quite strong as well. It takes 11/12 mid belly Spey line and enough backing. IMO it is unnecessary big and heavy for 11ft TH.

Thanks for that info.

It is listed at 9.0 oz.

Is your weight with line and backing?

At least mine is heavier, empty reel is 301g. Bought it 2.5 years ago and it was already reduced to $200 or so. I always measure spool and frame dimension and calculate the capacity and weight reels before loading line.

I had a few Orvis Battenkill LA reels and had some serious issues with the reels. The fact that the drags were not sealed caused some serious issues. The worked fine in the beginning but it was not long before the drags did nit function very well. It seemed that for what ever reason I would always have a black carbon grit always coming out of the reel and the roller bearing around the spindle in the reel would always rust.

Orvis did replace the reel w a new one and that one had the same issues, That was the reason I say I had two of their reels. I eventually took the reels back to Orvis and to their credit they did give me a full cash credit for the reels. I also had some of the mid arbor reels and had the same issue with corrosion and rust. They also gave me credit for those reels.

I used my credit to purchase the new Mirage reel and also ended up spending additional money to purchase more spare spools. I love this reel. No issues to date.