Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

Spanish Class

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

My honors kid, who is top of the class is Honors English, Honors History and her creative writing class is nearly failing Spanish II.

Any of you guys have teenagers taking a foreign language you yourself haven't studied/spoken/known for more than 20 years? What tools are available out there? She just need to study harder? Are there games, fun things we can do together to help her get through this? Need advice. Now way this kid is going to get by with a C or D in one of her classes and A's in everything else.

Study guides I should be looking at? Flash cards? Programs? Anyone? Beuller?

Tam, as opposed to rote memorization and verb conjugating back when we learned a foreign language, I find the schools do that new agey stuff.

I have drilled our kids with the verb conjugating the way my teacher taught me 800 years ago. Tough vocabulary words get written in foreign language 5 or 10x and English twice. Other than that, does her textbook have an online resource? Sometimes there are fun exercises in there.

All I can tell you is my kids are allowed to get one C every once in a while. They get hammered with so much work that it nearly breaks my heart. Seems there's no time to be a kid when you're a kid any more. Don't over react there Mom.

Tom we must have had the same teacher. :th:

Actually found out because I took the time to contact the teacher to check on Brooke's progress because she seemed to be struggling. Will check the book. Also gonna ask the teacher for advice.

Squiddly darling... I'm no Mom! She is the one who wants to go to a GOOD college and has the high aspirations. My job is simply to keep her on track for her dreams.

BB... :squid: I really don't want her thinking Sex Ed involves everyone sleeping with everyone and 742 positions before she even turns 16! :eek:

BB... I really don't want her thinking Sex Ed involves everyone sleeping with everyone and 742 positions before she even turns 16!

Don't exaggerate, it's only 703 positions :).

*ly , Immersion can work wonders. Other than obscenities, my Italian was pretty sparse (Suburban Guinea), but when I went to the homeland for 3 weeks, I would watch TV and of course tried to speak only the Eye-Ty and it worked out well (can't remember **** now though .... ).

The Spanish channel is good for conversational stuff. It helped my kids when I turned the closed captioning on so they could read, and listen too.

Record it so they can replay anything they want to hear again.

Do you have any Spanish radio stations out there in the hills?

What does she have to do to get a good grade? How much does speaking and responding count, how much does writing count, and test grades?

Concentrate on what weighs into the final grade the most. If conversing is only 5% and written essay is 60%, concentrate on her writing skills.

Do you have any Spanish radio stations out there in the hills?.

:laugh:

we have two kinds of music on radio stations here. country and western.

well three... if you include the gospel stations.

will try the closed caption thing and talk to her teacher on monday.

thanks Charleston.

it is a required class.. she has to have a foreign language. they had moved to FL for a bit and enrolled after everyone else. she wanted to take chinese but it was full. :(

i had thought about rosetta stone. anyone have actual experience with it? if i'm going to spend 80-100 bucks on something, i'd want it to be useful.

learning language is tough, i did ok in the early stages when it was just memorization but i sucked at it once you had to actually understand and conjugate etc....good luck to her...