Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

The greatest Patriot running back ever..............

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Congrats to Curtis Martin but I'll take Sam Bam and Jim Nance as the greatest Patriot running backs.

Congrats to Curtis Martin but I'll take Sam Bam and Jim Nance as the greatest Patriot running backs.

You can't be serious--Cunningham had exactly one 1000 yard season, and had a whopping 43 career TDs in 9 seasons. In 1978, his one Pro Bowl season, he managed to outgain the immortal Andy Johnson by less than 100 yards with 52 more carries. Martin is the 4th leading rusher in NFL history, and he never had anyone the caliber of John Hannah, Leon Gray and Bill Lenkitis opening holes for him.

Nance had 2 great seasons, and one decent year, and then his production fell off rapidly.

I saw both of them play. Cunningham was actually a better blocker than a runner. His career average was under 4 yards a carry.

Craig James and Tony Collins were both better ruing backs than Cunningham...........and for 1 year, put Corey Dillon my roster with that year he had in 04, steamrolled to over 1600 yards.

All Time Greatest, I would guess you have to say Curtis Martin, and it based on only 3 years,(not steeped deep with running back greatness in Patriots land) shame he never had much playoff success after making the Super Bowl so early on in New England.

Craig James and Tony Collins were both better ruing backs than Cunningham...........and for 1 year, put Corey Dillon my roster with that year he had in 04, steamrolled to over 1600 yards.

All Time Greatest, I would guess you have to say Curtis Martin, and it based on only 3 years,(not steeped deep with running back greatness in Patriots land) shame he never had much playoff success after making the Super Bowl so early on in New England.

Curtis had a choice. Jets big money & Parcells as coach or less money & Pete Carroll. No brainer, right? Had he stayed a Patriot, it may have been enough for the Pats to win 4 straight Superbowls instead of 3 in 4 years. Instead, he never returned to the Big Game while enjoying a HOF career.

Congrats Curtis Martin !! A class act !! Hope he has no regrets. He had absolutely nothing to do with that whole Belichick one day mental meltdown as HC of the NYJ thing. Maybe Sudsy remembers the Greatest Jet coach ever ... Belichick! Wonder if the Belichick retirement napkin is in the Jets HOF?

You can't be serious--Cunningham had exactly one 1000 yard season, and had a whopping 43 career TDs in 9 seasons. In 1978, his one Pro Bowl season, he managed to outgain the immortal Andy Johnson by less than 100 yards with 52 more carries. Martin is the 4th leading rusher in NFL history, and he never had anyone the caliber of John Hannah, Leon Gray and Bill Lenkitis opening holes for him.

Nance had 2 great seasons, and one decent year, and then his production fell off rapidly.

I saw both of them play. Cunningham was actually a better blocker than a runner. His career average was under 4 yards a carry.

Ditch, he was a Patriot for 3 years and 8 full as a Jet. Is 3 years long enough to call a player the greatest ever for one team? Corey Dillon had 200 less touches then Martin in 3 years, 5 more touchdowns then Martin, .2 extra in avg, and 1 superbowl ring. Should dillon be considered greatest Patriot running back ever? Of course not, because 3 years is not enough.

Ditch, he was a Patriot for 3 years and 8 full as a Jet. Is 3 years long enough to call a player the greatest ever for one team? Corey Dillon had 200 less touches then Martin in 3 years, 5 more touchdowns then Martin, .2 extra in avg, and 1 superbowl ring. Should dillon be considered greatest Patriot running back ever? Of course not, because 3 years is not enough.

As I said, for a single season I'd take Dillon.

By default I think it goes to Martin.