Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bulldog

Where to find the cam locks from kayak hatches

13 posts in this topic

I'm making a new "Rod-pod" hatch for my Ocean Kayak Trident, and am looking for the the cam lock device from various kayak hatches. I have a Cobra yak with a hatch I could rob, but gets expensive to buy a new hatch just for the hardware. I need five latches, the cover is made of starboard and I would like to router them in. Any ideas? I might post on BST for broken hatches maybe. Thanks.....jack

No I'm talking about the T-handle latches you see on things like the large square hatches, you pry it up, turn it then open the hatch. I've checked around a bit, and will be contacting Johnson outdoors Monday to see if they parts or just the who;e hatch. The factory rod pod covers annoyed me with them taking up leg room on the sides, so I've made a real nice starboard one routed out to fit inside the opening and only come to the edge. I might stay with the straps but i was routing everything else and thought why not! I'll post a picture of the cover in a bit......Jack

Gee......it worked! The cover I made is about two inches narrower then the factory one which rubbed my legs all the time, feels like a much bigger boat now.

Bad news is that Cobra charges $60 just for one hatch lid. I advise anyone with a Cobra to put a piece of 200 pound leader on it. I have never seen the hatch lids componets for sale anywhere. You can buy a cheap complete bucket hatch kit for $30. But I wont be back until April 1st. The ones I have are made by crack of dawn if you can find one somwhere.

Yeah, buying a hatch stripping it for the 5-6 latches I need is bothering me a bit, and the straps work fine, just thinking when getting tumbled through rapids on a raging creek, the latches might be "more" watertight.....jack

Thanks man! Yours' was one of the DIY lids that inspired me. I don't see a gasket under the hatch. Have you found it unnecessary to include one? Maybe I am just over thinking it. Did you ever find the T-handles? They would definitely add some hold-down power. Is the weight a problem?

I never did the latch thing, it fits tighter then factory because it locks in now with the routing I did, I got a gasket from a hardware store that is about 7/32" with a air channel through it, it works. This is my first run at it but I'm happy enough that it might be done!, I actually cut the cup holder out of the factory one a recessed it in. Other ideas I had were putting in a small live well for bait using the scupper tranducer hole to mount a pump and have the overflow come out througn the top of hatch at back to stop any possible leaks inside, tackle box tie down was another thought, but I use a Plano waterproof box on a leash and throw it in the rear well when not needing it..............Jack