Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfcasterzx2

Loaded SS 1 3/4 needle

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

359I made my first attempt at loading a needle, Let me tell you it was a pain in the butt. I watched DJ muller's you tube video on how to do load SS needles and he made it look so easy,

So last night i gave it a shot, It Took me an hour to load the damn thing, I used 7.5 shot to load the needle. The final weight without hooks is 2.5 oz. So here it is. I just have to sand some of the extra epoxy off and clean it up.

It's fairly simple if you make your holes using a nail heated with a propane torch, held with pliers of course. I then put my lead shot in the fold of a bent business card. Put the card to the hole and just pour them in. Weigh it out every so often and then just seal it up.

Not hard at all. And makes one hell of a difference on the beach, as you will find out.

Thanks spig, I drilled the holes and literally put each shot in one at a time, my nerves was shot after doing that. It came out right but killed me. I'll try your technique next one I do thanks so much for your input.:)

I put #8 shot in a small Dixie cup, then weigh it. Once I've got the weight I want, I just put a crease in the lip of the cup and pour in.

great advise. I drill them as well, it is faster. I am sure your next one will be quicker.

Dixie cup or another easy flex plastic cup will do the trick and you'll be done in minutes from start to finish. I cut the rolled lip on the plastic cup and squeeze it until it almost forms a V shape. Shot mostly goes into the lure with a few pieces of falling out but most going into the lure. I'd recommend doing this over a paper plate so any lead falls into the plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spigola View Post

It's fairly simple if you make your holes using a nail heated with a propane torch, held with pliers of course. I then put my lead shot in the fold of a bent business card. Put the card to the hole and just pour them in. Weigh it out every so often and then just seal it up.

Not hard at all. And makes one hell of a difference on the beach, as you will find out.

icon14.gif

#9 skeet shot  Smaller hole better.

Why load a ss needle,they come loaded now?Unless your board,or want something real heavy.

Ss needles loaded or not are deadly on the southside rocks.

I assume a lot of guys have a bunch that are old and not loaded and they don't want to go out and spend the cash on the new loaded ones.

i have a bunch loaded at different weights for different apps, between 2- 2.75 oz. then i have the pre-loaded versions which are a bit heavier at 3oz. i am speaking strictly about the 7.25" model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtkRockHopper View Post

Why load a ss needle,they come loaded now?Unless your board,or want something real heavy.

Ss needles loaded or not are deadly on the southside rocks.

You can make them different weights, 2, 2.5, 3 oz and also it adds rattles, which if nothing else, I like a lure that rattles.

I assume a lot of guys have a bunch that are old and not loaded and they don't want to go out and spend the cash on the new loaded ones.

I bought a bunch of the new loaded ones and the way they swim and fish is completely different than the ones loaded with shot even when they weigh the same. The new loaded ones seem to sink much faster than a similarily shot weighted needle. I believe it has to do with where the weight is placed in the factory loaded needles it is not as evenly displaced as shot loaded ones

Being that i fish mostly sand beaches with jettys a heavier needle is a must when there is a good blow or high surf. 1.75 and 2oz needles don't cut it in these conditions. 2.5-3oz would be perfect when the wind is Blowing hard and there's big surf, that weight usually will keep the needle on or close to the bottom and you can punch it through the wind as well.