Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motorace

Non Rusting Multitool?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

My Leatherman Wave gets splashed, dunked, fish slimed, drolped in the sand, rinsed on rare occasions and doused with WD40 maybe twice a year. It is 6or 7 years old, no rust.

Same here with the skeletool

My Leatherman Wave gets splashed, dunked, fish slimed, drolped in the sand, rinsed on rare occasions and doused with WD40 maybe twice a year. It is 6or 7 years old, no rust.

I have a leatherman that has to be 12-14 years old and no problem at all and No Rust also a Micra leatherman also been around for some time,very small great sissors,and victorinox model (very heavy) that are holding up very well. newer models quality, ???

I've been waiting for one also but I've been dreaming about an all titanium multitool :drool: Now that would be nice :clap:

and it would cost about a grand....

Go for the leatherman... it's about the best out there.

I've had problems with rust on leatherman tools. Part of the problem is the leather sheath holds salt and water. If you rinse it, dry it and spray the inside with a heavy coat of WD-40 that helps

I like the Gerber multi tools over the Leatherman. The easy one hand opening of the Gerber tools is much better than any Leatherman I have used, more forgiving on the hand too. I have been using the same Gerber for 12+ years without a problem. I have probably sprayed it with WD40 3 or 4 time over that time period and hit it with a Scotchbrite twice.

Any of the tools mentioned work well but don't expect them to function at their best without periodic maintenance. I have found no matter how much you try to avoid it, sand seems to work it's way into the tools and you can hear its effects when you move any of the blades around.

After returning from a trip i always flush the tool with a high power freshwater rinse to get it out and it seems to work well. I would not use a leather sheath if it is going to get saltwater soaked, i used to just use a stretchable coil ( off an old phone) and attach it to the tools lanyard clip and slip it in my back pocket.

Remember the tools are Stainless not rustproof and a little bit of upkeep is all that should be necessary to keep it functioning well. You can use a product like (RUST OFF) if needed to get those darker portions shiny again, especially the parts at the bottom of the blades near the tools housing.

Tools like Leathermans Micra, Sog crosscut and Gerbers recoil and fisherman make good companions, but these days i prefer a dedicated good quality fishermans plier for most duties. I have a few Surge models, two Waves and a Sog Powerlock but they stay home for the most part as i have lost two Leathermans in the wash already.:(:(